IP.Pages confusing to edit

Tom_K

I have a demo account for IPS 4. I created a database and added some articles. I added the block to one of the pages with two column setup. I changed that page's setup to one column and now I'm stuck since the block is gone and the page editor tells me Pages are already using that database feed.

Am I missing something or is this just overly complicated. If I use the database feed on one page, I can't use it on any others?

5 hours ago, Tomzl said:

I have a demo account for IPS 4. I created a database and added some articles. I added the block to one of the pages with two column setup. I changed that page's setup to one column and now I'm stuck since the block is gone and the page editor tells me Pages are already using that database feed.

Sounds like you removed a column where the widget was placed in, so it will disappear. That’s expected. Set it to 2 columns again and move the widget to a place that doesn’t get removed when you switch to 1 column. 

5 hours ago, Tomzl said:

If I use the database feed on one page, I can't use it on any others?

You can have as many “feeds” as you want. But that’s what Pages blocks are for. A Page database widget can only be used on only one page, since it defines the URLs of every article – and every article exists only once and therefore should only have one URL. Multiple database widgets for the same database would create a confusing mess. 

On 12. 2. 2016 at 7:43 AM, opentype said:

Sounds like you removed a column where the widget was placed in, so it will disappear. That’s expected. Set it to 2 columns again and move the widget to a place that doesn’t get removed when you switch to 1 column. 

You can have as many “feeds” as you want. But that’s what Pages blocks are for. A Page database widget can only be used on only one page, since it defines the URLs of every article – and every article exists only once and therefore should only have one URL. Multiple database widgets for the same database would create a confusing mess. 

The application should be smart enough to move the widget to the remaining column or remove it alltogether. I tried setting the page back to 2 and even 3 columns but it doesn't help. You can't get the widget back or use it anywhere else since it is linked to that page eventhough it is not visible.

Archived