Converting back to 3.4

The.Reaper

Just wondering if anyone has successfully converted back to 3.4 from 4.1? Ive spent to many sleepless nights fixing problems with plugins and the general lack of plugins is starting to get quite frustrating, upgrading to the latest version is seriously a massive regret for me.

There is no "downgrader" for whatever Software i know :) You may try to convert to another Software (maybe MyBB) and Reimport to IPB3.x.

That said, i don't think it's a good idea, because 3.x will get EOLed, also the plugindevs will focus on IPS4 - and IPS4 is a really modern and nice Plattform :)

:lol: I don't know where @Fredss got this idea from but it's impossible to downgrade. I've been installing, upgrading and troubleshooting hardware and software for more than 20 years and I can tell you that it's impossible to downgrade. Unless you saved an old backup from the previous version, you're SOL.

7 minutes ago, TheSonic said:

There is no "downgrader" for whatever Software i know :) You may try to convert to another Software (maybe MyBB) and Reimport to IPB3.x.

That said, i don't think it's a good idea, because 3.x will get EOLed, also the plugindevs will focus on IPS4 - and IPS4 is a really modern and nice Plattform :)

This is how you do it, saves yours members and forum content, you may lose stuff like followers and stuff. I've used that work around more than once in the past.

Sorry if i'm sounding negative and frustrated, i have been using IPS4 since the first stable release and have tried my hardest to integrate my community into it, i have been explaining to all of my members the benefits of upgrading but i have received no positive feedback from anything, the forum software just really doesn't cater for the type of community i am running which is a quite closed clan community.

Security is our main concern as we have people trying to infiltrate our community for information on our events daily, the openness of the forum has really limited us in this respect but obviously i have made many work around's to achieve goals.

I can't remember the exact names of the plugins but to list a few,

Colours in topic titles,
Arcade,
A working plugin that makes users view a certain topic,
Users that have read a topic,
Members online today,
Global forum message,
Status updates that don't force you to go to a users profile,
IRC Chat application,
Posts/Topic count seperated,
About me page on user profile,
Can't post on other topics until posted on a specified topic.

This is just a few i can think of from the top of my head but there is many more missing.

16 minutes ago, Morisato said:

:lol: I don't know where @Fredss got this idea from but it's impossible to downgrade. I've been installing, upgrading and troubleshooting hardware and software for more than 20 years and I can tell you that it's impossible to downgrade. Unless you saved an old backup from the previous version, you're SOL.

I'm glad i humoured you, downgrading is not normally an option due to updates normally bettering software in my opinion this is not the case with IPS4, thanks for the advice i will look into other forums which i can use as a middleman in converting.

2 minutes ago, Fredss said:

Security is our main concern as we have people trying to infiltrate our community for information on our events daily, the openness of the forum has really limited us in this respect but obviously i have made many work around's to achieve goals.

I run a popular gaming clan on IPS4 and have found no issues with security, what exactly is wrong with it from your point of view? We're often the targets of attacks, against both the suite itself and the machine we're hosted on, because we have zero tolerances on certain questionable behaviours... We attract all the wrong attention from all the wrong people. We've never suffered a security breach.

Just now, Evil Edwina said:

I run a popular gaming clan on IPS4 and have found no issues with security, what exactly is wrong with it from your point of view? We're often the targets of attacks, against both the suite itself and the machine we're hosted on, because we have zero tolerances on certain questionable behaviours... We attract all the wrong attention from all the wrong people. We've never suffered a security breach.

The main issues we are having with security is not really associated with Ddos attacks although we do receive a lot of them! The main concern was availability of peoples information to potential doxing, when we first installed the board email addresses we available to everyone which was a disaster and i had to manually edit the code of all of my skins to remove the emails from profiles, there have been a few other smaller issues as far as permissions changing by themselves and plugin errors changing the chmod of folders on the server (which even support were stuck at).

5 hours ago, Fredss said:

The main concern was availability of peoples information to potential doxing, when we first installed the board email addresses we available to everyone which was a disaster and i had to manually edit the code of all of my skins to remove the emails from profiles, there have been a few other smaller issues as far as permissions changing by themselves and plugin errors changing the chmod of folders on the server (which even support were stuck at).

Are you sure this was a bug? As, mods and admins can see email addresses on the public side but nobody else can.

19 hours ago, Fredss said:

Colours in topic titles,
Arcade,
A working plugin that makes users view a certain topic,
Users that have read a topic,
Members online today,
Global forum message,
Status updates that don't force you to go to a users profile,
IRC Chat application,
Posts/Topic count seperated,
About me page on user profile,
Can't post on other topics until posted on a specified topic

XhQ8LJx.png

Most of these are already there. The only one that I wouldn't expect anytime soon is arcade.

Archived