Post Sort Order (Not Topic Sort)

Bill Edwards

Dear All

I know that I can sort the order of topics within a forum either by date, title etc

However, is it possible to sort the posts in a topic by another order other than time?

For example:-

Topic AAA has three replies

A, B & C

The replies are showing as A, the oldest first, then B, then C the newest reply.

Can I sort them (either through the forum software or an add on) so they show as C then A then B?

Many thanks

Bill

Hello @Bill Edwards,

Sadly, that is not possible as stated, BUT if you wanted you could enable the 'forum answers' features and manually select the "answer" post, which would cause it to show as the first reply to the thread. This will allow you to have this format:

BEFORE
A - original post
B - reply post
C - reply post

AFTER selecting answer
A - Original post
B - Selected answer (now the new second post)
C - other replies

Overall, by selecting an "answer" it becomes the second (B.) post.

Hope this is some help for you. If you need more help, or hands on assistance, please email me at the email below.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2016 at 9:08 PM, Kevin 7 said:

Hello @Bill Edwards,

Sadly, that is not possible as stated, BUT if you wanted you could enable the 'forum answers' features and manually select the "answer" post, which would cause it to show as the first reply to the thread. This will allow you to have this format:

BEFORE
A - original post
B - reply post
C - reply post

AFTER selecting answer
A - Original post
B - Selected answer (now the new second post)
C - other replies

Overall, by selecting an "answer" it becomes the second (B.) post.

Hope this is some help for you. If you need more help, or hands on assistance, please email me at the email below.

Hi Kevin

Many thanks for your help. This isn't a very elegant solution, but I've been playing with it to see if I can make it work. Our forum is about travelling funfairs. We have a reference list of rides. Members reply to those topics with photos of the rides. Ideally I would like to sort the replies so the photos appear in chronological order. I accept this isn't possible. Using the "best answer" feature would, at least, allow me to have the most recent photo immediately under the topic, which is a step forward.

I've set up a test forum and am playing with the settings.

Two problems so far

1) The language doesn't reflect what I am trying to achieve - I am (slowly) getting around this by translating and replacing, e.g. "Best Answer" is now "More recent photo"

2) I don't want or need the top block - "Explore questions" - is there a way to get rid of it?

Many thanks

Bill

1 hour ago, Bill Edwards said:

Our forum is about travelling funfairs. We have a reference list of rides. Members reply to those topics with photos of the rides. Ideally I would like to sort the replies so the photos appear in chronological order. I accept this isn't possible. Using the "best answer" feature would, at least, allow me to have the most recent photo immediately under the topic, which is a step forward.

Hi there, Bill -

Have you thought about creating a database within Pages for this? You could choose your ordering for it, with the newest post (but not necessarily edits, reviews or comments) appearing at the top of the list.

Oh, to be honest, Bill, I'm guilty of the crime of not reading closely enough. I didn't see that you had given an example ordering of A > C > B and figured that you meant something sequential, just with with the ordering changing. (Whether by posting date ascending or descending, or some other value.) Now that I've realised it appears that A will always stay in first position, and then newer posts materialise underneath it with subsequent ones being progressively older, that complicates things.

I suppose you could give each ride its own category within the database, with newer posts appearing at the top and the category description being equivalent to post A (and so always at the top). The downside, though, would be that your members could only post replies to pre-existing rides (categories), since the equivalent of creating a new topic wouldn't be available to them.

I suspect this might be a non-starter for you on balance. Sorry to waste your time.

On 2/15/2016 at 5:52 AM, Bill Edwards said:

2) I don't want or need the top block - "Explore questions" - is there a way to get rid of it?

Many thanks

Bill

Hey @Bill,

Maybe you could edit the code and:

1. Change it to another name, even if it's welcome to my community, or view listings below. Basically I would personally leave it in place, but just rename it to something else that 'blends'.
  2. Remove the link, so it so is only an image/advertisement image/or whatever you'd like

OR

1. Change it to a new link with a new name ( i.e: Clck here to get started; click to make a listing; click for help, etc.)

OR

1. Remove it completely from the code without screwing up format.

This could be a poor suggestion, but it is possible to get the job done. For more solutions, I recommend you email me at the email below where we can provide you with other solutions, ideas and support. Hope you accomplish your goal soon.

Archived