Option to restore the comunity to the certain time point

RPG-support

We may have the option in ACP to create the exact replica of the comunity files and database on the dates/time basis. For example, this option of creating the restore points is available in MS Windows. If you are not advanced user to restore your files via FTP or do not want to do this due some reasons, you may create several restore poins manually or automatically on the scheduled basis. The suite may keep this copies of files and database in the encoded form that if system is hacked or ruined in any way it may be quickly restored from the ACP. The next step will be to apply security patches or to submit the support request. It will facilitate the IPS support staff to resolve different issues. The encoded archive may be protected by the admin password which will need to be entered in order to restore the system. I am sure that this option will be very helpful and will be the step forward in software developing.

Just seems like another point of corruption, or data loss. Which would fall onto IPS being yelled at by clients (the self hosted ones) for software losing such information. Which is why it's recommended to backup the community regularly; or get 3rd party backup software to perform this operation. 

but i can't speak for the official response, as this is my opinion and thoughts.

2 hours ago, opentype said:

This type of functionality can easily and much better be handled on the server level, i.e. in your hosting web interface. 

Microsoft developers do not insist that users restore MS Windows on the files level. They developed the restore points functionality. It is just convenient for the most users to have the special automatic option. Sometimes it is good to think that other people may be not experienced in something. And the most users are not experts in software. That is why they are pruchasing IP Suite which may be installed from the box without need of any smart costly guys with the good level of experience and 40$ per hour salary.  

7 hours ago, shop.a108.net said:

If you are not advanced user to restore your files via FTP or do not want to do this due some reasons, you may create several restore poins manually or automatically on the scheduled basis. The suite may keep this copies of files and database in the encoded form that if system is hacked or ruined in any way it may be quickly restored from the ACP.

If you don't know the basics for web hosting you shouldn't run a software on the internet.

7 minutes ago, shop.a108.net said:

Microsoft developers do not insist that users restore MS Windows on the files level. They developed the restore points functionality. It is just convenient for the most users to have the special automatic option. Sometimes it is good to think that other people may be not experienced in something. And the most users are not experts in software. That is why they are pruchasing IP Suite which may be installed from the box without need of any smart costly guys with the good level of experience and 40$ per hour salary.  

If you're hacked that badly just wipe the files. Get a fresh copy off the client site. Most ya gotta worry about saving is profile pictures lol maybe a few others that I'm forgetting about.

A Backup is much better suited to things like cpanel backup, r1soft, rsynch (among others) etc

If your host is decent then you will probably have a few options, there is no need for any form of backups in forum software (in my opinion) which is not backup software. R1soft has an easy web interface with restore points and is easy to use - try looking for a host running r1soft backups if thats a worry for you.

14 minutes ago, shop.a108.net said:

You are comparing apples and oranges if you compare Windows with a web software like IPS. 
And your arguments about convenience has nothing to do with WHERE the best place for a snapshot functionality is. And that place is on the server level. Hitting the button to make and restore snapshots can happen there in the same easy way it could happen in the IPS backend as you imagine it. 

27 minutes ago, shop.a108.net said:

Well, try not to judge others first what they should or should not. You may unintentionally offence somebody.

It's not against you. But a software like IPS is not suitable for end users. It's not just plug'n'play without the basics. It's easy to use but in my opinion such easy tasks like "create a backup" should be no problem for an advanced user.

7 hours ago, shop.a108.net said:

We may have the option in ACP to create the exact replica of the comunity files and database on the dates/time basis. For example, this option of creating the restore points is available in MS Windows. If you are not advanced user to restore your files via FTP or do not want to do this due some reasons, you may create several restore poins manually or automatically on the scheduled basis. The suite may keep this copies of files and database in the encoded form that if system is hacked or ruined in any way it may be quickly restored from the ACP. The next step will be to apply security patches or to submit the support request. It will facilitate the IPS support staff to resolve different issues. The encoded archive may be protected by the admin password which will need to be entered in order to restore the system. I am sure that this option will be very helpful and will be the step forward in software developing.

I think that is a great idea that IPS should definitely look into.

2 hours ago, opentype said:

This type of functionality can easily and much better be handled on the server level, i.e. in your hosting web interface. 

I don't know about the "much better" part, but I can assure you that in my universe uploading files via ftp, fiddling with cPanel setting and editing files is definitely NOT easier than clicking buttons in the ACP.

26 minutes ago, Admonstrator said:

If you don't know the basics for web hosting you shouldn't run a software on the internet.

That is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. First of all, what "the basics" of web hosting are is quite debatable. For some people, the basics include: purchasing a 'community in the cloud' plan, setting up the domain name servers and then doing everything from the ACP. For others, "the basics" could mean tweaking databases, knowing every single thing in the cPanel, restoring backups etc. We do not all have the same level of proficiency in website management, and saying that if you don't know the basics for web hosting you shouldn't run a software on the internet is rather offensive.

Secondly, there are forums out there belonging to a wide variety of niches, some of which are completely unrelated to webmaster stuff. You can't expect a painter who wants to build an online community for his works to start up learning website management or a doctor who wants to have a forum for his clinic to pick up a web hosting guide.

18 minutes ago, opentype said:

You are comparing apples and oranges if you compare Windows with a web software like IPS. 
And your arguments about convenience has nothing to do with WHERE the best place for a snapshot functionality is. And that place is on the server level.

I think his comparison is quite valid actually. Why is it "best" at server level? And if it's best there, why is it a lot less user-friendly than the ACP? Moreover, if server-level management is the best, why did IPS move towards a ACP-based upgrading way as opposed to the FTP-based way that they had on IPS 3?

4 minutes ago, Elena-Viorica said:

And if it's best there, why is it a lot less user-friendly than the ACP?

I isn’t it and I didn’t say that. I actually said it makes no difference regarding user-friendlieness if you press these buttons in the backend of the IPS software or your webhosting interface. And that is why this user-friendlieness argument is pointless. 

4 minutes ago, Elena-Viorica said:

Why is it "best" at server level? 

Simple. PHP is a software to run websites, not a server maintenance software like Plesk, cPanel and so on. Those server tools are perfectly made to move files on the server level, import and export large databases and so on. And they even have those functionalities already! Replicating all that in PHP in each single content management system is not only redundant, it also works rather poorly, because, well, it isn’t meant to do that. 

44 minutes ago, Elena-Viorica said:

Secondly, there are forums out there belonging to a wide variety of niches, some of which are completely unrelated to webmaster stuff. You can't expect a painter who wants to build an online community for his works to start up learning website management or a doctor who wants to have a forum for his clinic to pick up a web hosting guide.

If you don't know anything about a special field of interest you should contact people who are able to help you with this, shouldn't you? There are many websites on the net just because somebody think that he/she is able to handle it. That's why there is a massive amount of spam on the net - because people don't know how to protect their sites (which is a basic too, if you are going to create a online community.)

It may not effect IPS in cloud because it's software as a service - so there should be a way to create a complete dump of all files and database entries. But if you are going to run a software on your own server or web hosting you should be able to create backups without a special function within the software. If you don't now how to do that you should talk to someone who is able to help you (which isn't a big deal ... even if you don't know anything you can use a search engine or ask your web hosting company)

2 hours ago, Elena-Viorica said:

Why is it "best" at server level?

This is because he already knows something about this and do not understand that others do not know this or may be they want something more convenient for them. Happily, IPS is moving towards ACP management, like you said: 

2 hours ago, Elena-Viorica said:

Moreover, if server-level management is the best, why did IPS move towards a ACP-based upgrading way as opposed to the FTP-based way that they had on IPS 3?

3 hours ago, Admonstrator said:

It's not against you. But a software like IPS is not suitable for end users.

Don't you think that this particular idea may be offensive? Offensive to those whom you cutted from being deserve of using this nice IPS Suite. I am talking about simple people who may want to have nice sites in the easy way. Obviously IPS understands this and tries to do its best to simplify the process of usage.

2 hours ago, Admonstrator said:

If you don't know anything about a special field of interest you should contact people who are able to help you with this, shouldn't you?

Happily, this primeval times are other and it is becoming more and more easy to use software for sites just from the box (thank you IPS!). And those so called experts who were collecting money for this are biting their elbows (kicking themselves). (w00t)

32 minutes ago, shop.a108.net said:

And those so called experts who were collecting money for this are biting their elbows (kicking themselves). (w00t)

⬇︎ See below ⬇︎

4 hours ago, shop.a108.net said:

Well, try not to judge others first what they should or should not. You may unintentionally offence somebody.

38 minutes ago, opentype said:

⬇︎ See below ⬇︎

I am sorry for this, but this is personal experience. I spent $12000 for the site end the experience of relationships with software developers was not often positive. Thank you God that there is IPS Suite from the box for the affordable price! Honestly!

Archived