"Flag as spammer" a dangerous tool!

abetts

I had this set to stop the member from posting and to delete their content which it has been for several years. Now, if a member is accidentally flagged as a spammer their content is gone, gone for good. One of my moderators accidently flagged a genuine (and important) member as a spammer and now their content is gone with no way whatsoever of restoring it. 

I've now changed the setting to hid their content but it now means for the 99% of genuine spammers we'll have to remove their posts manually, but it's a safety net that's required. Imagine if someone accidentally flagged a member with thousands of posts as a spammer, that would be a disaster! 

Bring back 'deleted content' is the answer IMO! 

Perhaps there ought to be an additional safety net with this, for a 'fatal' action such as this (like forum pruning) the moderator should have to re-authenticate themselves.

This would only prevent accidents if they agree to the modal popup though, it obviously won't stop them if they are not really aware of what they are about to do...

1 hour ago, Adriano Faria said:

This is optional. You can configure to not delete the content.

Thanks. Although as I pointed out in my post up there, I'm aware of this and have it set to now hide content. 

If someone with thousands of posts was flagged as a spammer by accident, this would absolutely ruin any forum; trust, continuity etc.  

• 1 year later...

Having had a chance to use this and already have a moderator do an accident click on mobile (fortunately I only have it set to hide), an undo button for this that would revert everything to pre-click settings would be great.

• 7 months later...
On 26/04/2017 at 2:52 AM, Morgin said:

Having had a chance to use this and already have a moderator do an accident click on mobile (fortunately I only have it set to hide), an undo button for this that would revert everything to pre-click settings would be great.

Yes, an undo button which unhides all content and re-enables the member and reverts back to how things were before hitting flag as a spammer would be amazing. 

There should be recyle bin for operations that might have significant impact.
Deletions of members f.ex. I, by mistake, deleted a long time member with over 10k posts. Luckily we make daily backups..

Another issue when it comes to spam protection is that the Spam-service can flag IP's with multiple registrations. I, as administrator, is banned from my own forum because I have setup some test-accounts... :)
We also had a large company banned because several employees have registered with same IP.

Archived