Keep the title and URL for REQUIRED
Title 2*
By admin, 29 minutes ago
Title 1
By admin, 2 hours ago
Merge

When you merge topics from within a topic you get:
The title and URL for the topic you are viewing (Title here) will be kept

If that is not the title you want you have to go to the other topic and restart the action, when the selector could be right there. Not only is it more steps it may not be intuitive to all mods. Can you add the title selector like inline has?

Also in the pop-up the title is defaulting to the newer topic title/URL and in most cases you want the older topic title as it matches post #1 as that is what the author intended, as well as keep the older URL, can that default to the older topic please? If it is simply defaulting to selection 1 you can list the order by date, older first, and solved.

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2016 at 10:10 PM, chilihead said:

Also in the pop-up the title is defaulting to the newer topic title/URL and in most cases you want the older topic title as it matches post #1 as that is what the author intended, as well as keep the older URL, can that default to the older topic please? If it is simply defaulting to selection 1 you can list the order by date, older first, and solved.

I would like to bump this request, the topic merge right now is very counter intuitive for precisely this reason - the title of the new topic is preserved and the old one is basically renamed. This is exactly the opposite of what it should be doing, I cannot imagine a use case where when merging you want to keep the title of the new topic, instead of the old one. 

I agree, very confusing.

Plus, the ability to merge topics with the topic number of the second topic has disappeared.

Ironically, in the 3.x version, you had to merge by topic number because merging by URL never worked. I would think this would have been repaired rather than removing the method people used -- and was very handy, if you needed to make a note on paper to get this done, it was a lot easier to write down the topic number.

The wording on the prompt box for current topic merge is misleading as well. It says you have to put the topic title AND URL in the field for a merge. This most likely should be topic title or URL (or, if I had my druthers, topic number).

Archived