There are places outside of the USA ;)

.Ian

4 minutes ago, Morisato said:

Since the majority of IPS clients speak English, this isn't a surprise. But, I'm sure when you first install IPS that you're given the choice of what language to select for your community. It isn't rocket science. The majority of IPS installs are based in the English language.

You are wrong! So don't assume.

The language in IPB is set to UK

Chrome is set to default of English UK

However English USA was still in Chrome.

IPB is/was picking up the USA language file in Chrome, nothing to do with the settings in IPB or indeed the country of the user or even the default language.

We should not have to tell people to delete the USA language file from Chrome to make IPB work :p

6 minutes ago, .Ian said:

IPB is/was picking up the USA language file in Chrome, nothing to do with the settings in IPB or indeed the country of the user or even the default language.

We should not have to tell people to delete the USA language file from Chrome to make IPB work :p

You best submit a bug report to Google & Mozilla to tell them to submit the correct language information in their user-agent in that case....they send it all up, in the order it appears in the browser settings, and I don't believe that they indicate which is the default in that user-agent string. How are IPS supposed to figure out what your default is without you either a) putting the default up to the top of the list or b) removing the ones that are not used? :D

Messing around with adding several items in to the settings - Firefox will send up languages in the order of preference. Top of the list = preferred, second in the list = next preferred (if the first preferred isn't supported) and so on......the 'q' value in the accept-language stands for 'quality' and indicates preference. Absence of a 'q' value for the first entry indicates a value of 1.....here's the string sent up for the same 3 languages in those 2 browsers:

Firefox: en-US,en-GB;q=0.7,en;q=0.3

Chrome: en-US,en;q=0.8,en-GB;q=0.6

First in the list = the preference.

Just now, Nathan Explosion said:

You best submit a bug report to Google & Mozilla to tell them to submit the correct language information in their user-agent in that case....they send it all up, in the order it appears in the browser settings, and I don't believe that they indicate which is the default in that user-agent string. How are IPS supposed to figure out what your default is without you either a) putting the default up to the top of the list or b) removing the ones that are not used? :D

Not sure how other sites do it - only ever had the problem in IPB4.

Of course if we could just select the default rather than leave it to a browser then happy days! Should really go with the language/currency settings.

5 minutes ago, .Ian said:

You don't even have to delete it, just drag it to the top of the list within Chrome. The accept language is an ordered list of languages that you would like the page to be displayed in, so if the first item in that list is en-us, it will default to en-us. There are other ways to detect the country that it should default to, and it is used in some places I think, but checking the accept language has by far the lowest overhead (the other main server-side method involves an API request to an external service to resolve the user's IP address).

If you changed the language for all users, others would complain because, while it works for you, it would mean that, even if their browser was correctly configured before, they will now get the wrong location (the one that you have set) as default. While that might work for your site, it's not reasonable to assume that all sites have users who are all located in the same place.

Sorry, but it's Google's fault (or possibly yours if you downloaded the US version of Chrome), and not something that IPS can reasonably change.

1 hour ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I actually think IPS are handling it in a good way - adhere to the browser settings. Shouldn't really be a need for a site-based setting to handle this at all....detect and work with it as the user has listed their preferences.

Not really. My browser was set to UK. 

I am in the UK. 

Therefore it would be reasonable to assume that the software would detect UK. 

Perhaps it should be based on IP like many sites are, or give control to the site owner. After all not everyone would even change their browser spell check to the UK. 

To date I have not experienced any other site give me not only the USA but also a state as default. 

Anyway solved for me, but if you look at the support forum here you will see several people with the same issue. 

Even support said it was not possible to set the UK, they didn't indicate that it was supposed to be automatic. All they said was they had many tickets complaining. 

All sorted now. 

Just now, .Ian said:

Not really. My browser was set to UK. 

I am in the UK. 

Therefore it would be reasonable to assume that the software would detect UK. 

Perhaps it should be based on IP like many sites are, or give control to the site owner. After all not everyone would even change their browser spell check to the UK. 

To date I have not experienced any other site give me not only the USA but also a state as default. 

Anyway solved for me, but if you look at the support forum here you will see several people with the same issue. 

Even support said it was not possible to set the UK, they didn't indicate that it was supposed to be automatic. All they said was they had many tickets complaining. 

All sorted now. 

The problem was, Chrome was telling your site that it was set to en_us, and would accept en_gb as a backup, whereas you wanted en_gb to be the primary language (to do that, you just had to drag it to the top of the list). I don't know why it was like that, but what IPS4 does is entirely reasonable.

1 minute ago, .Ian said:

We'll agree to disagree on the rest - but at least support, if they read this thread (or their management feeds the information back to them) can have an actual working method to understand why the language detection is not working as it is designed. If it was was me, in my previous employers, and this issue was causing so many tickets, then I'd be straight in to the KB system to document this and then email it around to all my colleagues in the team to get a bunch of stuff closed down.

Archived