User Groups in Registration Screen & Account Settings

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

Using the inbuilt group promotion system I was able to auto-set a few secondary groups on every active member on my board. In other words, members that join the community are added by default to a list of secondary groups. I'd like to keep using your app in order to let the above members leave the groups at wish, but it somehow conflicts with IPS's group promotion and won't let they leave (users get added back to the secondary group as soon as they try to leave them).  

Edited by Shiyo
3 minutes ago, Shiyo said:

Hey there,

Using the inbuilt group promotion system I was able to auto-set a few secondary groups on every active member on my board. In other words, members that join the community are added by default to a list of secondary groups. I'd like to keep using your app in order to let the above members leave the groups at wish, but it somehow conflicts with IPS's group promotion and won't let they leave (users get added back to the secondary group as soon as they try to leave them).  

I'm not sure I'm following you. It's the GROUP PROMOTION who is putting they back, right? It's not a problem of my resource. If you set a rule, rule will always be executed.

If what I said it's right, then you're on a situation that you go the right and the system pushes you to the left, because you are allowing two actions to work in different directions.

It seems to me that you will have to choose which one you want to use.

10 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

I'm not sure I'm following you. It's the GROUP PROMOTION who is putting they back, right? It's not a problem of my resource. If you set a rule, rule will always be executed.

If what I said it's right, then you're on a situation that you go the right and the system pushes you to the left, because you are allowing two actions to work in different directions.

It seems to me that you will have to choose which one you want to use.

Sorry, I wan't addressing any bug as I acknowldege that your app works exactly as it's meant to.

I was asking if there's any work around for that or if you're planning to add the option to set default secondary groups on registrations (assuming it's even possible of course).

Edited by Shiyo
13 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

You can add to the secondary groups already:

Uymi4nA.png

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that allows user to choose if they want to join a list of user groups upon registration, right? 

Since new users may not understand what the groups are intended for, I'd like to force them to join specific secondary groups upon registration, and then grant them the choice to eventually leave the said groups..

Edited by Shiyo
Just now, Shiyo said:

but that allows user to choose if they want to join a list of user groups upon registration, right? 

In secondary groups, user will choose the one or which ones (depending on your settings) he wants to be.

1 minute ago, Shiyo said:

Since new users may not understand what the groups are intended for, I'd like to force them to join specific secondary groups upon registration

No, this plugin do not force the user; it gives the user the option to choose, as stated in the file description. If you want them to be in a specific secondary group, then select only this group in the plugin settings.

X13sQrM.png

3 minutes ago, Shiyo said:

and then grant them the choice to leave the said groups eventually. 

Then give permission to them to uncheck the group in the Account Settings:

kHTNpCF.png

With this permission, they will see in their Account Settings:

56f45407736da_Screenshot2a.png.6e7ea06c0

Then it's enough to uncheck the group and save.

1 hour ago, Adriano Faria said:

No, this plugin do not force the user; it gives the user the option to choose, as stated in the file description

Ok, thanks.

I figured out a workaround for this. I'll leave it here just in case anyone else is interested in this.

I'm using group promotion to add members in specific secondary groups as soon as they register. Then I use the same tool to auto-move them into another primary group that's not affected by the group promotion system. This will allow members of the above mentioned group to override GP and leave the secondary groups whenever they need to via account settings (this app).

• 2 months later...

Just so I am clear and I did read through the support topic but I want this clearly understood by me before purchasing. This is like what used on IPB 3.4? I have groups all primary on a sports fan board. We allow the person to sign up and show their team they support based on groups. So I can set this to have them select their favorite team since it based on primary groups on registration correct? I am assuming was can filter what groups they can select from correct? Don't care about secondary and don't use them for that purpose

Thanks

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I mean that it is designed and extends the regular community registration process. I never used registration from another site via oAuth or social media, so I don’t recommend purchase it, if that’s your case, because they won’t work as they don’t use the regular registration process.

Support isn’t provided in these cases, as it’s clear on file description:

It is designed to work ONLY on default IPS 4.X registration screen

Edited by Adriano Faria
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...