IPS should improve the suite documentation

Azhar Shahzad

IPS has definitely provided the feature rich community suite with the release of IPS v4. The efforts made in the v4 is well appreciated. But again the problem is with the lack of documentation. I have seen the Documentation as well as new Guides area which contains step by step guides. Those are just guides to get started and familiar with IPS Suite.

IPS must provide us with the complete documentation for v4 containing all the terminologies, KBs, guides, examples, API structure (showing all API classes) which covers everything from the point of installation to advance usage in one place. What I am suggesting is the full HTML documentation.

I am listing a CMS i.e Kentico (from which I migrated to IPS) for reference. They have provide full HTML documentation like this: https://docs.kentico.com/display/K9. They also have API reference which lists classes that one can use to customize and add own functionality like this: http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/9_0/api

If IPS develops full featured documentation for its products then we can easily get to know the full potential of IPS Suite and thus by doing much more amazing things with v4.

10 minutes ago, NewRockRabbit said:

I'll all for more documentation but to be fair to IPS, Kentico is much, much more expensive than IPS suite.

I am not doing feature or price comparison between IPS and Kentico here. I just the listed the example for the kind of documentation that If IPS develops will benefit us (the users of IPS).

IPS used to have a good documentation. After they upgraded to version 4 the links changes. And now it has been a problem for almost a year.

Things that was easy to do in version 3 is impossible in version 4, partly because of missing features but also because of missing documentation.

On 1/4/2016 at 2:28 PM, Azhar Shahzad said:

IPS has definitely provided the feature rich community suite with the release of IPS v4. The efforts made in the v4 is well appreciated. But again the problem is with the lack of documentation. I have seen the Documentation as well as new Guides area which contains step by step guides. Those are just guides to get started and familiar with IPS Suite.

IPS must provide us with the complete documentation for v4 containing all the terminologies, KBs, guides, examples, API structure (showing all API classes) which covers everything from the point of installation to advance usage in one place. What I am suggesting is the full HTML documentation.

I am listing a CMS i.e Kentico (from which I migrated to IPS) for reference. They have provide full HTML documentation like this: https://docs.kentico.com/display/K9. They also have API reference which lists classes that one can use to customize and add own functionality like this: http://devnet.kentico.com/docs/9_0/api

If IPS develops full featured documentation for its products then we can easily get to know the full potential of IPS Suite and thus by doing much more amazing things with v4.

I have an open ticket with this issue with management and was waiting for a reply from them, but when I check this morning it look like it was going to be close because I didn't reply. But I did reply, so my ticket got move from waiting on IPB to waiting on me, which can only be done on back end by a user, as I can only resolved the ticket for my options. I documented this issue with some pictures and stuff and hope not to get brush under the table with trying to get some answer to questions that have been for me at least side stepped are phase a already old term, "were working on it."  I have no issues with IPB, I enjoy working with the software and when I have issues they replays to my tickets are within the range they said they answer. Over all my experiences have been "B" grade level, but when trying to work with Commerce AKA Nexus 4.0 (which sounds better IMHO) were working with money and stuff that should be layout. I would think IPB would agree with me there, so I just sit and wait to see what happens next.   

9 hours ago, emilhem said:

IPS used to have a good documentation. After they upgraded to version 4 the links changes. And now it has been a problem for almost a year.

Things that was easy to do in version 3 is impossible in version 4, partly because of missing features but also because of missing documentation.

So far from what there in guides to get you understanding and knowing of the software it coming along. I just wish the release of content is extra slow than the release of the software. If they improve on that and not just say they going to do it but do it than they (IPB) is holding up the the customer to vendor relationship. 

Archived