Suggestion: Allow for a basic editor instead of CKEditor

UK-Varsh

There are many users I have come across that are complaining about using CKEditor and they much preferred using the old basic editor that was available to them in IPB3. What would be handy is to have the an option for the users to allow for them to switch between using the CKEditor or just having a standard textarea for typing in text.

Or is there an option that I have missed completely?

@UK-Varsh, the members on your community aren't the only ones. I'm receiving some backlash over it as well. I strongly urge IPS to reconsider the editors, or add some kind of option where IPS users/administrators can select what editors to use. Right now, the ckeditor is playing havok with the status update widget and I seriously hate the idea of allowing users to embed images and video into a status update. I'm still scratching my head over who at IPS thought THAT was EVER a good idea to begin with. Personally, I think it's the dumbest idea to ever grace IPS.

My apologies if that sounds condescending but I seriously hope IPS makes some changes in regards to allowing us to select what editor to use through our own communities.

• Management

You can't have a standard text area because the post is pre-formatted as it appears in the editor before it's submitted to the database. You can, however, customize the editor -- even strip it down if you prefer to the bare minimum. It is, however, required. 

Feel free to share your concerns about the editor and we're happy to address them appropriately.

@Lindy a useful option with ckeditor is the ability to use different config.js configuration files on various ckeditor instances, allowing someone to present a ckeditor instance on one page that could be stripped down to use only, for example, Bold/Italic buttons with all other plugins not included. Then on another page, present a full editor.....then on another page and so on. And it doesn't even have to be on different pages - 2 ckeditor instances on one page can have different config.js files

This may be an option for those who want to strip down the editor that they see in the status update widget - strip out the plugins they don't want to see in there, strip it back to the basics. And then in the signature, strip out the functionality that does embedding for those who don't want people to embed external content.

Admin CP > Customisation > Editor > Toolbars

You can remove any button (even all of them if you're so inclined) by dragging and dropping them into the section below - or, click on any button to remove it from certain areas.

11 minutes ago, Mark said:

Admin CP > Customisation > Editor > Toolbars

You can remove any button (even all of them if you're so inclined) by dragging and dropping them into the section below - or, click on any button to remove it from certain areas.

In before everyone else  - people know that, Mark.

Problems:

1. It affects all ckeditor instances - so if admin wants to have a basic stripped back editor in the status updates, and a full editor everywhere else, then it's either/or not both.
  2. You can remove all buttons. You can't remove all plugins - so if someone wants to remove the plugin that handles the auto-embedding then they can't (unless they get jiggy with the database or even rewrite the plugin to neuter what it does)

I struggle with people using statuses as (instead of) posts as it is. Adding in the various accoutrements of posting makes the tendency even worse. 

On the plus side breaking the ability to read multiple user' status+replies in one place by making everyone go off to profile status pages is doing some good work in discouraging status use. So there's that. <_<

22 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

It affects all ckeditor instances - so if admin wants to have a basic stripped back editor in the status updates, and a full editor everywhere else, then it's either/or not both.

You can change where it shows: 

Bold_2016-01-04_05-08-16.png

I don't think some of you quite understood what I meant. When I mean by a simple textarea, I mean where users can freely add in their text and not have anything auto formatted, it would be similar to using notepad. They would then use BBCode to format the entire post themselves instead of using the CKEditor. This would then have CKEditor disabled for those that don't want to use it and they can then use a basic box without any issues. It's using the CKEditor and its auto formatting that is causing issues so adding or removing items from the toolbar isn't going to do the slightest bit of difference.

1 minute ago, UK-Varsh said:

I don't think some of you quite understood what I meant. When I mean by a simple textarea, I mean where users can freely add in their text and not have anything auto formatted, it would be similar to using notepad. They would then use BBCode to format the entire post themselves instead of using the CKEditor. This would then have CKEditor disabled for those that don't want to use it and they can then use a basic box without any issues. It's using the CKEditor and its auto formatting that is causing issues so adding or removing items from the toolbar isn't going to do the slightest bit of difference.

The chances of it happening are nil, hence offering up alternatives to get some of that 'auto-formatting' functionality out of the existing editor in certain places.

Ugh, it's crazy to take out the option in the first place. I can understand why CKEditor is available as default, but removing a basic option that others require isn't good practice. If there are ways to get it as close to that as possible then that would be grand, but I assume that this would affect everyone rather than have it as an option.

On 1/4/2016 at 7:17 AM, UK-Varsh said:

If you so desire, BBCODE will still parse in CKEditor so it is possible to do this to an extent. Just images and some items will embed.

• Management
7 minutes ago, jackflash said:

I think the new editor offers more functionality than the previous one and it seems more adaptable.  The only problem that I've had was figuring out how to delete a quote box when I decided not to quote someone's post. . .I'm a little slow.

"It's not you, it's me." Or rather, it's us. The quote function is incredibly frustrating for everyone and we're working on it -- expect it to be fixed within a month. 

@Lindy Thanks for bringing the topic back.

Is there an option to allow for users to have the source option? This was pretty useful in IPB3 and not having it in IPS4 seemed strange, unless this is a security issue? I'd imagine that CKEditor parses only pure HTML+CSS so I couldn't imagine it being so. Perhaps have this as an option in the admin panel?

Archived