Basic Points (Support)

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/05/2017 at 8:59 AM, Dean_ said:

Hi Mike,

I've been following this for some time and I'm now reaching the stage where the points system is exactly what I need for a new community I'm setting up. The whole site will be based on your basic point system. Wooo! :rofl:

Currently it has almost everything I need but, there just a couple of extra features I'm waiting for, then I can purchase, setup and test.

Possible features:

• AdminCP - Assign points to usergroups (add/subtrack points)
  • Usergroups - let's say a donation group get's more points for post, replying, etc than normal forum users.
  • Re-naming the app (on all pages and locations, ie. Cup Points)
  • Global points page with points displayed - I'd like to show current daily and week/month/year top USERGROUPS and underneath top MEMBERS (like the leadboard). I know I can use the sidbar widget too.
  • Get points for buying from Commerce (paying memberships, donations etc).
  • FA Icons, being able to change the icon used or even upload a small image. (At the moment I can see it's a +, but if we could change it to a cup or star using fa)

Questions:
I know you can reset points after a certain time, but can I for instance MASS reset points for everyone on a given date of the year? I'd personally like it if I can go to ACP, hit reset points for; Members, Usergroups manually. (It would reset everything back to 0, along with any logs, so I could start again for another month, year).

Now the big one, I really, really need this to support 4.2 once it's released. The reason I'm posting is to check to make sure this addon isn't dead, or being abandond (as it says in your description). I'm personaly in no rush for this as it may be easier for me to install once 4.2 is out. I'm pushing/aiming for a late August to finalise my site, do you think any update/release would be out by then?

Many thanks for your time!

On 11/05/2017 at 3:09 AM, Mike John said:

Noted all of these for future versions.

You could select the "Year"  as the time frame and then the day of the year instead. e.g.

yJ2jkop.png

I plan on upgrading all my apps and plugins for IPB 4.2 once it's released. I can't commit to a time frame until IPB 4.2 is out and I've looked at what's needed to upgrade however.

Really eager to get this if I can get my suggestions implemented. Now that 4.2 is out I'm starting to move pace with my site and this would be an integral part of the site interaction. :D

On 7/11/2017 at 10:24 PM, Mike John said:

The Basic Points application has been updated for IP.Board 4.2.x compatibility.

On my boards the points reset on the 1st of each month but what about the side bar and points page why do they not update to show the new totals for the week/month?

• 2 weeks later...

Does this work with Commerce like Points Economy does? If not that functionality should be added.

I want people to be able to purchase items from Commerce using Basic Points instead of Points Economy.

EDIT: Also, how do I give myself points & I don't see the option (like shown in your screenshots) to give someone an extra 100 points (or take away 100 points) on each post they have? http://developerpad.com is my URL just in case you need it.

Edited by DudeThatsErin
more questions
On 8/1/2017 at 4:27 PM, RSAC said:

On my boards the points reset on the 1st of each month but what about the side bar and points page why do they not update to show the new totals for the week/month?

The week & month tabs need to use the points log to generate totals based on time rather then all time totals. The points logs are not cleared when resetting the points currently. I will consider adding an option to clear logs as well if not critical.

On 8/12/2017 at 2:08 AM, DudeThatsErin said:

Does this work with Commerce like Points Economy does? If not that functionality should be added.

No not currently.

@Mike John are you currently looking for more ideas for this app? Hope to release my site at the end of the month and it would be good to know if a new version is out in the coming months? Happy to support app to get some extra features. :)

I'd really like to be able to show / select which usergroups have the most points and display it on the global page.

On 8/15/2017 at 1:30 AM, Dean_ said:

are you currently looking for more ideas for this app? Hope to release my site at the end of the month and it would be good to know if a new version is out in the coming months? Happy to support app to get some extra features. :)

Yes definitely, every suggestion is being logged and the most frequently suggested ones will be among the first to be added.

On 8/16/2017 at 4:07 AM, Mike John said:

Yes definitely, every suggestion is being logged and the most frequently suggested ones will be among the first to be added.

Just to cover the list... I got this from ibEconomy 2.0.8, which I offered and gave to @-RAW- when he was doing iCredits for 4.x sometime back, of course you don't have to implement a single one, but it's a neat list if your scratching for ideas at any point, or if anyone agrees to any of them:

Features: (any of which can be disabled)

• Shop Items (~30 items so far... I'm open to suggestions for new ones)
  • Shopping cart and checkout system
  • Points Per Topic/Reply/Reply-in-own-topic
  • Points Per Rep (negative/positive receiver/giver)
  • Banks (savings/checking)
  • Numbers Based Lottery system
  • Stocks (based on actual things like member posting/registrations or random)
  • Credit-Cards
  • Long-Term Investments (IRA, 401K, etc)
  • Custom Sidebar Blocks (richest members, stock ticker, etc)
  • Point loans
  • Welfare system
  • Donations system
  • Send Item to Other Members
  • Transactions/logs
  • Personalized public settings page per member
  • Global ibEconomy announcement
  • ibEconomy profile page per member

Hooks/Other features:

• NO FILE EDITS!
  • Plug-In System!
  • Duplicate app's sidebar blocks on board index
  • Display member's point total, clickable to view stats and donate (from topics and PMs)
  • Profile point total
  • Donate from topics/PMs DIRECTLY via popup balloon
  • Profile donate link
  • EVERYTHING can be turned off (well... anything that makes sense to turn off)
  • Drag and Drop sorting (EVERYWHERE)
  • View/Buy/Trade/etc permissions via built-in IPB permission masks
  • Name "points" anything you want, everywhere
  • Also can integrate with any other points system (if yours isn't list, let me know and I'll add it)
  • Group MAX perms for most everything
  • One-Click Purchase (with setting to enable/disable/show-only)
  • Setting to disable the use of decimals and cents, for the more "simple" ibEconomy install (with round-up/round-down/nearest setting)
  • Show points/donate button on post view either in bottom of post sidebar or as button which sits flush with the other post buttons for pretty integration
  • Custom images per item
  • Edit member points directly from their board profile (with accompanying group setting)
  • Profile Tab to display recent purchases and recent non-purchase transactions

Shop Items: (29 total, but most can be used in different fashions so really many more use cases)

• Add Color Topic Title (Integration with (SOS31) Topic Title Colored)
  • Increase/decrease own/other's post count
  • Increase/decrease own/other's reputation points
  • Award Item (Integration with (inv) Awards as of 2.0.6!)
  • Ban self/others
  • Blank item (can't be sold or used, great for just showing things off, or awards/achievements/interests/etc)
  • Change own/other's skin
  • Change own/other's group
  • Change own/other's display name
  • Change own/other's signature
  • Change own/other's status
  • Change own/other's title
  • Close own/other's topic
  • Open own/other's topic
  • Password to forum
  • Pin own/other's topic
  • Promote to VIP (Integration with (SOS) VIP Members)
  • Random points to self/others
  • Random shop item to self/other
  • Scratch-Off
  • Secret Message
  • Send PM to ID (new to 2.0, great for selling things or any transaction in which you want the user to buy something, then send you a message about it, for instance with their shipping address)
  • Steal points
  • Steal reputation points
  • Unban other
  • Unpin own/other's topic
  • Upload Emoticon

Hope that helps. :)

I'm very interested in any ADVANCED POINTS application in the IPS marketplace! But all available solutions here appear as they don't get beyond the initial stages.

After some coaxing I've decided to release my points app for IPB4. There has been quite a few points applications over the last 10 years I've been modding and as many unsupported/abandoned ones as well. Given it's history, my aim is to provide more long term certainty and stability going forward. One that you won't have to worry if it will be upgraded for future versions or be abandoned.

I've decided to keep things simple to start and get further feedback as this application grows. I want to to add feature suggestions based on their merit and majority support. Even if something has already been suggested, please add your voice to it so I know which direction the users of this app want to take it.

This was said already by end of 2015. So is there a chance of a more or less rapid further development?

I wouldn't mind paying a higher price! $$$

I think an ADVANCED POINTS app should be somehow bound to

• CORE / FORUMS
  • COMMERCE app
    -> as a solid POINTS PAYMENT GATEWAY
    -> as POINTS showing everywhere as a valid virtual currency (in addition to USD/EUR as a multicurrency setting)
    -> Products can only be purchased by points, if point price is filled in. If both currency prices are filled in the customer can choose, if only real world currency is filled in customers must purchase with real bucks
  • DOWNLOADS app
    -> POINTS should be shown in addition to USD/EUR in blocks / widgets / slider ...
    -> Products can only be purchased by points, if point price is filled in + (see above like in commerce)
    -> points system must be suited for site commission/referrals/affiliates
  • AWARDS app (currently: iAwards)
    -> POINTS should be triggered if an award is received or taken away again, depending on the worthyness of the award (custom config per award)
  • AUTOMATION RULES app (currently: automation rules)
    -> there are lots more situations and maybe it makes sense to create some ECA (events/conditions/actions) as @Kevin Carwile describes his API for other developers
    -> maximum flexibility

And here is my (new) list:

POSITIVE POINTS EVENTS:

• Registration of a member is complete (once per unique Email address / member name)
    -> this is a direct welcome bonus and introduces the points system to new members
  • Daily Login (once a day): I try to force my members to login daily and award them therefore
    -> if the member opts in for bulk mail he should get an extra minor daily bonus (email marketing!) OR he will only get the daily login bonus if he opted in for bulk emails.
    -> if the member has a completed profile he should get an extra minor daily bonus (personalization)
  • Topic/posts creations (once for author): topic author receives major points, post authors that respond in topic receive less points + thank you points for topic author for each post in topic by others, long texts (minimum chars) will be extra awarded, also texts with high reputation (f.e. if a post receives XX likes, then... extra points)
    -> it should work the same way for blogs
  • Free downloads / paid downloads creations: free gets XX points, paid DLs XXX points, if DL is downloaded XXX times then extra X points, or if purchased more than X times XX points
  • Positive reactions (reputation): each reaction should trigger points for the receiver as well as the reaction giver in dependance of a unique reaction. Points values for different reactions differ (f.e. like = 10, thanks = 5, confused = 0, sad = -1)! The idea is to engage all members to take more part in using reactions, while others will be triggered by this behavior!
  • Review creations: f.e. the more stars rating a reviewer will give, the more points he will get, extra points if other users find the review useful
  • Gallery album creations: bonus for massive photo uploads (but if deleted again, then double minus points!)
  • Purchasing memberships: give points for regular and VIP memberships and renewals (according to the price level)
  • Special member group promotions: if members are promoted, they will get an extra point credit
  • Leaderboard daily winner: different points for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place
  • iAward is received: depending what category and the worthiness, points should be given, awards are a very high reputation sign, hence they should be awarded with points, too! By the way, iAwards can also be triggered with "Automation Rules" ECAs

NEGATIVE / NO POINTS EVENTS:

• If receiving/giving negative reactions: take away points from both negative reaction receiver as well as the negative reaction giver -> this way a negative reaction will become "expensive" and only used if worth the event!
  • receiving a moderation warning: in dependance to the severity
  • reduction for inactive behavior: each month, reduce points by XX or XX%
  • account banned: user looses all points (deactivation)
  • manual reduction: admins/mods are allowed to take away points as a special warning mechanism!
    -> Or admins/mods can suspend members from "daily points" OR "ALL points" temporarily

Only problem: If (additional) points are purchased with real world money, there should be a setting that a member can't loose the purchased points (=drop below his investment) except for spending them in exchange for products like memberships and downloads!  (w00t)

POINTS MULTIPLICATORS:

• If user is in VIP group XX then multiplicate points values with f.e. 1.2 (=20% bonus)
  • If user is in MOD group YY then .... f.e. 0.8 (=-20% as they will naturally get more likes for bureaucracy instead of content production)
  • Points award for very high reputation: give 0.1 extra bonus (f.e. 1000 rep and up)

SPECIAL POINTS OPTIONS:

• Received points must be confirmed daily or weekly or monthly
    -> this way, users will only get their points finally, if they take part in the community regularily
    -> timeframe maybe dependant on member group
  • Comeback users after time x should be awarded, if they click a special link!
    -> so we can create bulk emails to attract inactive members to come back and engage again
  • Banned members can't earn points (also during times if banned temporarily)
  • Daily limit: limit the maximum points a member can receive daily!
  • Tipping: Options to transfer points to other members as a thank you mechanism: if in group XX, can transfer daily X points max, if in VIP group YY, daily max is YYY points

I have 1000+ ideas but these ones should be the essential ones for the start ;) 

If all the requests are too heavy to be hardcoded at once, there might be a chance to realize them with Automation Rules ECAs? I would accept this solution, too!

I don't need banks, no trades, I want to lift up the members engagement, sell points for real money and generate income (downloads/memberships products) by exchange!

This is the requested "voice" :) 

Thank you!

Edited by Cyboman
  • 4 weeks later...

I've come across a strange bug that IPS thinks is on the developers of these modifications (Hence why this a copy/paste) post across all the affected plugins that I noticed this on. At certain sizes of the screen (When you have a few of these plugins active on) it kind of bugs the profile up. 

At this screen size, it's fine:

Fine.thumb.png.70563ecbae760301475165a6e8e7fef0.png

However when I get it between the state of desktop/tablet mode and mobile mode it's not fine:

59b6bc930e121_NotFine.thumb.png.24c684042ebdf73bf86c0a972cba6fc6.png

I have spoken to IPS about this because I believed it was a problem only showing up because it's not something the software is expecting (An out of the box set up), and after some back and forth the reply I got was this:

...When the 3rd party author is creating items which adds information to the tabs, or the info bar at the top of the profile page, and change the size of the window to be smaller, it is not responsively changing the layout of the page in a manner which shows the page correctly...

The above if correct however is a job for the 3rd party developer to account for when they are adding items to the page. We do not have a function when a user is developing that states "Add a new tab to the profile area", just for example. This is something in which is specifically program in. If there is not enough space for it, then they would need to account for that. If it breaks the layout when in a responsive mode, they would also need to account for that. If there is something they cannot code around, they would need to report that as something they wish to be changed to make development easier for them to work with. 

11 hours ago, Tripp_UK said:

I've come across a strange bug that IPS thinks is on the developers of these modifications (Hence why this a copy/paste) post across all the affected plugins that I noticed this on. At certain sizes of the screen (When you have a few of these plugins active on) it kind of bugs the profile up. 

I encountered this in another plugin and decided to position the data in the left sidebar instead? What are your thoughts on that alternative? Ideally IPS would make that area responsive friendly for more data. (It's obviously a popular spot to add basic info to a users profile). But without them doing that, I'm not sure I can get around it myself and a left block appears to be the simplest option right now.

I personally like the idea, although I can't speak for everyone else, naturally. It might be a good alternative for the mean time, or at the very least making it optional? I thought it was just screen sizes but apparently it's affecting people who use non-HD laptops too. Ideally I'd like to see IPS making it available to be hooked into as Adriano has pointed out in his topic over in the dev gateway. But at this point I'm happy with a work around if you can do that, Mike. 

10 hours ago, Tripp_UK said:

I personally like the idea, although I can't speak for everyone else, naturally. It might be a good alternative for the mean time, or at the very least making it optional? I thought it was just screen sizes but apparently it's affecting people who use non-HD laptops too. Ideally I'd like to see IPS making it available to be hooked into as Adriano has pointed out in his topic over in the dev gateway. But at this point I'm happy with a work around if you can do that, Mike. 

Do you have ftp access to your IPB files? If so, I might be able to provide a patch you can test out now and see what it looks like.

• 2 weeks later...