Search still needs to be a focus

nylyon

Just an opinion on the Search functionality.  I am sure that the removal of Sphinx was a decision which received a lot of thought, but the native search functionality is really deficient and something needs to be done.  One of the primary purposes of a forum is the archival and retrieval of unstructured data.  Because it's unstructured, the search function plays a primary role in the retrieval of information based on criteria.  

I won't pretend to know the challenges of implementing a robust search, however in my simplistic opinion I should be able to search for something like "IPS 4.1.6 beta" which is the exact topic title and see at very minimum that topic because it's an exact match. 

The reality is that searching is very hard to do well. MySQL fulltext searching is very poor, but Sphinx requires a server and maintenance of code linking to it. Plus, if you want to take advantage of all of the features Sphinx offers you have to actually code them into your interface. Although Invision nominally supported Sphinx in previous versions, they never exposed the real strengths of Sphinx, and only used it as a faster, more efficient alternative to Fulltext, but with the same feature set. This has to do a lot with their clientele, most of whom don't need a particularly powerful search engine because they aren't housing information, they are simply discussing things "in the moment." Some of us, however, see one of our primary purposes as the archival and retrieval of information! So we seek other solutions.

In 4.1 we've found that using a Google Custom Search Engine gives us the highest quality results (after all, Google seems to know what they are doing when it comes to search!), with the major caveat that the returned results are paginated, and you don't get linked directly to individual posts. We considered this to be an acceptable tradeoff. DawPi developed an excellent plugin for us that integrates the CSE directly into the normal interface, so it is totally non-intrusive to my members.

I rarely bother using the search function on this site, as it's usually an exercise in frustration at best, futility at worst.

This has been brought up many, many times in the past, but it appears not much (if anything) has been done to address it... not sure why they don't view this as a top priority.

Alas, I use the following to search on this site:

google.com -> site:invisionpower.com "search string"

5 minutes ago, djpretzel said:

IPS had a pretty loooooong time to get search right, back when they were re-architecting things from scratch for 4.x.

Rumor has it they had a few other things the were working on during that upgrade :)

What would "right" look like? Sphinx, for example, is actually a very large, complex piece of software on its own. We can't really expect Invision to develop something like that. Search is hard! Invision isn't going to be able to just snap their fingers and get it done right: ideally, they need to outsource it, the same way they outsourced the editor. The trouble is, who do you outsource to? Invision believes, probably correctly, that the majority of their user base doesn't need anything more advanced than fulltext. I'd happily pay thousands of dollars for an effective solution, but there's no one to give the money to!

I got over 11 000 files in Downloads and the search is very bad. Why did ips 3.4 found everything but not the latest version. This is not good at all. I can not find my own files, this is crazy!

Bring back a better search because about over 300 files is not found because they have name like: Joe, little, man, big, saw, her, p2,

I want an admin answer to this. This must be 1:st priority.

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirmed that It was MySQL that stopped word and fulltext search. My host helped me and all word are now found in search.

1: open my.ini file in mysql

2: place below two line after [mysqld] line in my.ini (search [mysqld] in file)

ft_min_word_len=2
ft_stopword_file=""

3: restart your server

4: repair your table using below command

> repair table tablename;

Rebuild search index in IPS4

Run support to cache.

5: now your search is working....

• Management

The stopword and character limitation are not IPS-specific... it requires a mysql config edit -- please see above. 

10 hours ago, superj707 said:

I've observed search to be very poor as well. I hope it works better in the future

Could you please be more specific? "Poor" isn't actionable. :)

29 minutes ago, Lindy said:

The stopword and character limitation are not IPS-specific... it requires a mysql config edit -- please see above. 

I am sorry, I didn't mean to be ambiguous. I am having many if not all of the aforementioned issues. For example I cannot find thread titles even if I use the specific title of the thread in the search.

• Management
10 minutes ago, superj707 said:

I am sorry, I didn't mean to be ambiguous. I am having many if not all of the aforementioned issues. For example I cannot find thread titles even if I use the specific title of the thread in the search.

If you wouldn't mind, please submit a ticket with a few specific examples/steps to produce. We'd like to take a look and see if there's a bug. There was an issue, for example, with punctuation in topic titles. 

7 minutes ago, Lindy said:

If you wouldn't mind, please submit a ticket with a few specific examples/steps to produce. We'd like to take a look and see if there's a bug. There was an issue, for example, with punctuation in topic titles. 

I sure will.. right now my upgrade to 4.1.6 failed so I am thinking about starting a ticket for that first. Thanks again Lindy

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, finally getting around to posting some examples.

Tag "welcome" clearly exists

tags.thumb.JPG.9b7cdb4e7ec3b0d7b0f821098

search for "welcome" tag produces nothing.

fail.thumb.JPG.9fa25dd088a485bf31057dd1e

Thread title clearly exists

topic.thumb.JPG.f90c41f4a9fc899067432de1

Search produces nothing

fail2.thumb.JPG.6156c1c6dd4dbc5907882c53

I can still submit a ticket but I don't think its a specific to my site error.

• Management
On 1/5/2016 at 3:05 AM, Edward Shephard said:

I'm still at a loss to understand why the search doesn't cover pages content. Could you explain why this is and if there are plans to change it please?

Could you please be more specific? Pages content such as databases are quite searchable. 

10 minutes ago, superj707 said:

Okay, finally getting around to posting some examples.

Tag "welcome" clearly exists

tags.thumb.JPG.9b7cdb4e7ec3b0d7b0f821098

search for "welcome" tag produces nothing.

fail.thumb.JPG.9fa25dd088a485bf31057dd1e

Thread title clearly exists

topic.thumb.JPG.f90c41f4a9fc899067432de1

Search produces nothing

fail2.thumb.JPG.6156c1c6dd4dbc5907882c53

I can still submit a ticket but I don't think its a specific to my site error.

Yes, please do submit a ticket and mention I asked you to do so. If it's specific to your site, we can let you know and why. If it's something in the software, we can address it globally. 

As a note though, it appears based on your screenshot, you're not searching for tags. You either need to click the tag, or on the search screen, click "Search by tags"

We're happy to look into the second issue for you. 

Advanced Search - Invision Power Services 2016-01-28 00-20-31.png

• Management
Just now, superj707 said:

Thank you Lindy, .. I am pretty sure I clicked search by tags. I might be making a mistake or something but I checked it 3 times. Thanks again.  I will submit

A good indication is the lack of "tags" in the screenshot. This is what it would look like if you did search by tags:

Search results - Invision Power Services 2016-01-28 00-25-53.png

How do you even search the member list anymore? When I try it tells me I have to input a search term, but if I put any sort of term in then it'd limit the results and I'm just trying to get to the full member list. o.o A few versions back this was possible, but now it has to have a search term it seems. :/

15 minutes ago, Koby said:

How do you even search the member list anymore? When I try it tells me I have to input a search term, but if I put any sort of term in then it'd limit the results and I'm just trying to get to the full member list. o.o A few versions back this was possible, but now it has to have a search term it seems. :/

That issue is supposed to be fixed in 4.1.8.

6 hours ago, Lindy said:

Could you please be more specific? Pages content such as databases are quite searchable. 

As per your guide here: 

56aa06fcaa049_ScreenShot2016-01-28at12.1

If you embed a database on a page then that is all fine and searchable.  However if you make a basic html page in the acp then even the basic html content isn't indexed by the site and the same goes for the new wysiwyg content blocks that you can add from the front-end.  So on my test site I built a basic homepage which had a page title loaded automatically from the acp and wysiwyg block of content.  Net result is that none of my homepage is indexed or searchable using the built-in search engine, which for myself at least is a significant weakness for V4.

Thanks

On 1/5/2016 at 0:23 AM, Lindy said:

@Lindy Apologies if my post elsewhere was off-topic, but this seems like the right place:

• You can't search for all posts by a specific person in a specific forum...you HAVE to put a search term
  • You can't limit forum search by subforum in Advanced Search. There are like 4 filtering options in advanced search.

These two come directly from end users & moderators...

This is another instance where functionality in IPB 3.X was nerfed and still hasn't been restored (e.g. http://theshizz.org/forum/index.php?app=core&module=search&search_in=forums - the "find in forum" options at the bottom... where'd they go?)

Is making MySQL 5.6+ a requirement an option, so fulltext for innodb can be assumed, so we can get back the functionality we had?

Is anything in the works?

Archived