PayPal Subscriptions in Nexus for 4.0

jucs

Just went from the old subscriptions manager plugin to Nexus on 3.4.8 which worked great since the old plugin is not compatible with 4.0.  However, I read somewhere that 4.0 Nexus does not support PayPal subscriptions?

Does it support PayPal subscriptions like 3.4.8 Nexus does?

This stops me dead in my tracks to upgrade to 4.0 if that is the case.

Thanks!

Can someone from IPS answer this??

I logged a tech support ticket and have now had two different techs give two different answers. It seems the team is not synced up on just what the scoop is on PayPal Subscriptions and Commerce 4.0 versus Nexus.

It does not support automatic renewing PayPal subscriptions at this time. I've been through this loop twice now with IPS and PayPal and it MAY work if you use a paid business class PayPal account. PayPal tell me that a 'Pro' account is needed to handle subscriptions, that is repeat payments. IPS are supposedly looking into supporting repeat PayPal processing in the future.

6 minutes ago, tekguru said:

It does not support automatic renewing PayPal subscriptions at this time. I've been through this loop twice now with IPS and PayPal and it MAY work if you use a paid business class PayPal account. PayPal tell me that a 'Pro' account is needed to handle subscriptions, that is repeat payments. IPS are supposedly looking into supporting repeat PayPal processing in the future.

Do you have a work around?  What happens to the functionality if you convert to 4.0 and you have an existing user base with subscriptions via Nexus?  Thank you!

No work around for new subscriptions yet (IPS have advised they are going to revisit this - Q1 next year?). In the interim the PayPal legacy gateway which IPS have made available allows existent Subscriptions to be processed. However if a user breaks or cancels that subscription you can't restart it.

There are other options like Stripe for handling credit cards, but that means going for the expense of using SSL and persuading users that credit card payments can be trusted via the forum software.

So far I've lost around 30% of my subscribers and no new take ups have been forthcoming. The users do not trust Stripe so that and SSL (which we can't afford) are not options for us.

51 minutes ago, tekguru said:

No work around for new subscriptions yet (IPS have advised they are going to revisit this - Q1 next year?). In the interim the PayPal legacy gateway which IPS have made available allows existent Subscriptions to be processed. However if a user breaks or cancels that subscription you can't restart it.

There are other options like Stripe for handling credit cards, but that means going for the expense of using SSL and persuading users that credit card payments can be trusted via the forum software.

So far I've lost around 30% of my subscribers and no new take ups have been forthcoming. The users do not trust Stripe so that and SSL (which we can't afford) are not options for us.

What happens if someone tries to purchase a subscription? I assume the subscription packages do get converted so existing customers do not have an issue per say.

4 hours ago, jucs said:

Can someone from IPS answer this??

I logged a tech support ticket and have now had two different techs give two different answers. It seems the team is not synced up on just what the scoop is on PayPal Subscriptions and Commerce 4.0 versus Nexus.

Just a repeat of the quote for this to get answered on the future of PayPal Subscriptions in 4.0. Thanks.

• Management

There are no "subscriptions" as such in PayPal anymore in their new gateway. They have billing agreements -- the end result is roughly the same thing with the outcome you're looking for: recurring payments. This was just developed this week is in testing and should be rolled into a release in January. 

Archived