Pages - How to insert just an article teaser into topic

xtech

Hi,

i have an IP Pages creating a forum topic for each article, for comments. The thing is, IP pages also puts the whole content of the article into the topic. As google may complain about the duplicate content, i would like to know if it could put just a "teaser" of the article instead of the whole text and how can i do this.

I suppose i have to edit any file, but i don't know which one.

May somebody help me?

29 minutes ago, xtech said:

You have several ways. The easiest and less cpu intensive is to create a "teaser" field and showing it instead of the whole content (that's what i did).

The other one is to trim it in realtime using JS or PHP.

I didn't see an option for field type: "teaser" in the field settings, so I did some searching and found out that a teaser field is just a text area.

https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/405376-pages-question-regarding-fields/?do=findComment&comment=2523110

So I tried using field type "text area", but it is still showing the full article in the topic.Am I missing a setting somewhere?

44 minutes ago, opentype said:

You need to activate the new teaser field for the post, and DEACTIVATE the regular content field with the full article. 

Thanks opentype. Where can I deactivate the regular content field with the full article? I'm not seeing the option...

1 hour ago, openfire said:

I didn't see an option for field type: "teaser" in the field settings, so I did some searching and found out that a teaser field is just a text area.

Exactly. It's just a text area or text. You then insert there what you want. I ususally paste one of the content paragraphs there.

https://community.invisionpower.com/topic/405376-pages-question-regarding-fields/?do=findComment&comment=2523110

So I tried using field type "text area", but it is still showing the full article in the topic.Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Yes, you need to de-activate the content field. Remove the {$value} variable on the content field. Ad {$value} on the teaser field.

Edit: I've seen that opentype has already answered!

Ahhhhh OK. I see what I was doing wrong. :rolleyes:

What this does is allow you to enter your teaser text manually when you are adding the article, in addition to your article content.

All this time, I thought the teaser text was supposed to be generated automatically. :frantics:

Got it now. Long day.

Thanks for the help guys!

You can generate it automatically... but you have to trim the variable in php (or JS). Instead of {$value} in the content field you can put something like (this is the php version):

{{$trimmedValue = substr($value, 0, 160); /*If you want the first 160 characters*/ }}
{$trimmedValue}

Be careful with this: you should strip the html tags first. And you sentences or words can be cut with this simple approach. If you really want this, you have to perform more checks and refinements.

Archived