Auto Follow Content

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the update, i've installed on 4.3 and everything seems to be working correct for users that register using the Registration form however we're using an SSO Integration where users are being created from an oAuth integration that was developed by Invision and for those users the content is not being followed.

Can you please shed some light on what the cause may be for this?

8 hours ago, SMBiT Professionals said:

Thanks for the update, i've installed on 4.3 and everything seems to be working correct for users that register using the Registration form however we're using an SSO Integration where users are being created from an oAuth integration that was developed by Invision and for those users the content is not being followed.

Can you please shed some light on what the cause may be for this?

52 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

It uses MemberSynch extension so it should do it. I can only imagine that 4.3 doesn’t use this extension in oAuth.

I will have to take a look ir ask to IPS.

Which type?

login.jpg.b47f80dda011b78cfd06afc991bd8d

Please inform all the details so I can try to reproduce. 

6 hours ago, SMBiT Professionals said:

To be honest i'm not sure, i would suspect oAuth of some sort, we're not using the inbuilt Invision put together an application for us and it is not using the inbuilt oAuth support in 4.3, maybe i should go back to them and ensure that the MemberSynch  is being called?

Thanks for the reply.

7 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Yes. Tested "Other OAuth 2.0" handler with onCreateAccountonProfileUpdate and onDelete. All work fine.

You are assuming that if member validation is enabled, that everyone will validate. This isn't true for anyone that signs in with an SSO (be it Custom, OAuth, Facebook etc) or anyone that registers (when purchasing an item) in Commerce. You would be better to just use onCreateAccount() and make sure you have onDelete() supported for accounts that get removed (currently there are only methods for onCreateAccount() and onValidate())

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Joel R said:

In Pages database with no categories, there's no way to choose to follow the database.  (No selection)

Yes, as stated, it follow categories or items. If there are no categories, then there’s no category will show up to be followed. It won’t follow DB.

2 hours ago, Joel R said:

Is there a way to run a tool to apply this to all existing members?  (Also, I don't want this to remove followed items, only add new followed items.)  

No, the plugin runs only when the account is created. 

For existing members, I got: 

I sent this message to @Adriano Faria by PM as well, but I wanted to post it here in case anyone else was also experiencing this issue and had any insight.

Hello,

I hope you are doing well. Thank you for your hard work this great addition to IPS. Our forum has a large number of users, and we have quite a few sub-forums they need to be automatically subscribed to. This is exactly what we needed.

I have a question about using Auto Follow Content with new accounts created in the AdminCP. Our organization's forum is private, only accessible by members, so one of the admins has been creating all new user accounts directly in the Users tab of AdminCP. The public sign-up link is disabled.

I set up Auto Follow Content and created a new test account in the AdminCP, but the new test account isn't auto-following anything. I believe this is because when the admins create accounts by hand they aren't technically being validated. Then again, I also had the same issue when I enabled the sign-up link and set it for the simple sign-up option with admin validation. I'm not seeing automatic follows for the test user in either configuration.

Am I missing something?

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Sincerely,

John T Davis

5 minutes ago, John T Davis said:

I sent this message to @Adriano Faria by PM as well,

Message deleted, since you posted here.

6 minutes ago, John T Davis said:

I set up Auto Follow Content and created a new test account in the AdminCP, but the new test account isn't auto-following anything.

On this file description:

This application will admins to choose content (categories or items) to be automatically followed by new members when they create or validate the account (depending on your configuration).

This works in register process in public side. Not on ACP.

29 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

On this file description:

This works in register process in public side. Not on ACP.

Hello, @Adriano Faria,

Thanks for your reply, and please accept my apologies for the PM. I'm still learning my way around the Invision Community site, and I PM'd before I found this thread.

Is there any combination of settings that would allow the plugin to work on a new user account that has to be approved by an admin? My issue here is that our forum is completely members-only. There is no public portion. So, we cannot allow unapproved sign-ups. At some stage in the process the new member has to be checked against our organization's membership roll before they have viewing/posting access.

Thanks again!

15 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

I'll have to release a new version to make it compatible on account creation via ACP.

Will do it in a couple of days or so.

Thank you so much for putting this on the agenda for the next version.

Right now I'm running the Bulk Followers Management plugin every time we add a member, which is wonderful (I used it to set follow preferences for 350 members at once when we first set up--it saved me incalculable time), but I'm looking forward to being able to automate this process, especially since I'm not normally the person in charge of adding new member accounts.

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2018 at 8:20 PM, John T Davis said:

Thank you so much for putting this on the agenda for the next version.

Josh, it is following items when you create a member on ACP. I just tested it:

Make sure you're using the latest version from marketplace. Also, it won't follow right away if you use any kind of validation. Items will be followed only after user validates the account.

On 6/26/2018 at 1:28 AM, Joel R said:

In Pages database with no categories, there's no way to choose to follow the database.  (No selection)

Joel, another client asked same thing... unless I'm not understanding, even the DB setting Use categories set to No, store records in the database directly, it creates a category and this category appears in the my app setting on a new tab:

O659LYr.png

hdFAZ69.png

And when I create a new user, it follow the "DB", which actually is the category:

8oOp5Ol.png

Or did I misunderstand?

37 minutes ago, Adriano Faria said:

Joel, another client asked same thing... unless I'm not understanding, even the DB setting Use categories set to No, store records in the database directly, it creates a category and this category appears in the my app setting on a new tab:

O659LYr.png

hdFAZ69.png

And when I create a new user, it follow the "DB", which actually is the category:

8oOp5Ol.png

Or did I misunderstand?

That's not what I saw. 

I don't see a category selector at all.  Entire tab is blank! 

I'll take.a screenshot and give you access to after work.