Commerce Subscriptions need to be desperately simplified

MSUKForum

As already pointed out by my colleague, it is on our list and we will get to it, however we have no ETA at present. Please bear in mind that we have 8 applications, and whilst you have not seen any changes in this area as of yet, there have been many changes in other areas of the system. It's not being ignored, its simply not been reached as of yet.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Marc S said:

As already pointed out by my colleague, it is on our list and we will get to it, however we have no ETA at present. Please bear in mind that we have 8 applications, and whilst you have not seen any changes in this area as of yet, there have been many changes in other areas of the system. It's not being ignored, its simply not been reached as of yet.

Good to hear - active development and improvement of an already great system is why I personally have stuck with IPB.

I have to be blatantly honest here again... I will not be renewing until this is corrected. It has killed our income and I am not paying support and update prices for something that has now cost me income instead of generated it.

I appreciate that it is now on the 'list' to be looked at but that is by no means a confirmation that it will be done. This could mean the team goes over it and decides that they like it the way it is.

I look forward to seeing a response from a staff member once the change(s) have been implemented in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

We have been forced to move from Subscriptions manager over to commerce due to upgrading to IPS4.

We are getting extremely worried about not being able to switch off the billing address information requirement as we know from experience this will kill our revenue from member subscriptions.

Has this been or will this be fixed?

If not how can we edit the template to remove this requirements? Any ideas if that is possible or not?

Our customers will not be happy to provide us with their billing address information and we are only using commerce for non tangible goods, recurring subsriptions.

We also do not want to be in a position to have to store this information on our server.

thank in advance because if we cannot take revenune from our customers successfully, we will not be able to afford to renew licences which in turn will effect invision power income in the long run when you add up all  the invision power customers in our position who suffer the same issue.

I don't yet have Commerce but have been thinking about it for subscription options since ads have failed dramatically..However I would offer that at least in the UK any personal information you acquire has to be processed fairly and has to be necessary. If you don't need to collect a physical address then you shouldn't, or you would be breaking the Data Protection Act 1998. Therefore if the software is sold for use in the UK at least, it's preferable that it has sufficient functionality to enable someone running a business or organisation to be able to comply with the legislation at least as much is reasonably possible. It's good that IPS have acknowledged the intention to improve this aspect, but sad it's taken so long.

We are in a bad position now.

We have just purchased 7 licences for commerce and now find we cannot use it due to this issue about being forced to collect user billing address info

We have an open call about this with invision. Waiting to find out their response on the issue of the Data Protection Act 1998 and how this renders their software unusable for a UK company selling subscriptions to their members.

These licenses are effectively a complete waste of money until this issue is fixed.

On 11/12/2015 at 1:27 PM, jpointer2_merged said:

Regardless of tax / laws / country, I don't understand why IPS needs to force us to abide by their system.

I don't see why either of the 2 changes could be made:

• Allow an option for transactions to take place without an address
  • Allow PayPal to handle the address / customer information for fast checkout

It seems the majority in this thread agree with me here.

thats definitely for me too

as for the taxes point then its not gonna work because they could just put any false address they care to add when not purchasing a pysical product anyway. So we cant use the address for tax purposes as its just pure unreliable way to do it. So it really is best that we dont collect and hold thier addresses on our system and let paypal (or other)store them

and its even asking for thier phone number as a required field which most definitiely isnt required 

8 hours ago, Unlucky said:

We are in a bad position now.

We have just purchased 7 licences for commerce and now find we cannot use it due to this issue about being forced to collect user billing address info

We have an open call about this with invision. Waiting to find out their response on the issue of the Data Protection Act 1998 and how this renders their software unusable for a UK company selling subscriptions to their members.

These licenses are effectively a complete waste of money until this issue is fixed.

please let us know asap thanks

12 hours ago, socceronly said:

I closed the online store on one site, and switched to post in a thread and cash at the bar. 

Sold 2K in merch in one week. 

when you say cash at the bar do you mean a simple paypal button. Or are you meeting them at the pub to hand over cash ha ha

On 26/04/2016 at 0:59 PM, Marc S said:

I think for now then I wont be needed the commerce app as it could be quite a long time before its changed ...  paypal buttons it is then for me! 

27 minutes ago, kar3n2 said:

please let us know asap thanks

when you say cash at the bar do you mean a simple paypal button. Or are you meeting them at the pub to hand over cash ha ha

In this case cash at an actual bar. 

tried the thing on manual, pay pal ect... on two sites with good traffic and sales of merch.

By email, PM, thread, I sell the most by a long shot.  50 to 1.

Maybe with SSL and Stripe so it's all on site it would be different? 

I don't think it's terrible or anything. I think it's really good. Just something needs to change and I don't even know what that is. 

29 minutes ago, kar3n2 said:

I think for now then I wont be needed the commerce app as it could be quite a long time before its changed ...  paypal buttons it is then for me! 

The software invision are selling at the moment is not fit for purpose for UK clients who need it for subscription based transactions

On the invision sales page located at - https://invisionpower.com/features/apps#commerce it states the following so not sure how legal it is to state this if they sell to UK customers and there is no caveat present regarding the Data Protection Act that all UK businesses have to adhere to...

If there is one we have missed it so anyone have a link?

Sell Premium Subscriptions

Sell subscription-based access to your community easily - Commerce handles billing, member group promotion and renewals for you, automatically.

On 4/26/2016 at 0:59 PM, Marc S said:

Every day we wait for this is another days lost revenue for UK clients.

It might not be critical to you, but it is critical for UK clients.

Once a forum is moved to IPS4 this lack of functionality will effectly put that forum out of business if it relies on subscriptions to generate revenue.

Can this be escalated please or a workaround found.

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, socceronly said:

In this case cash at an actual bar. 

tried the thing on manual, pay pal ect... on two sites with good traffic and sales of merch.

By email, PM, thread, I sell the most by a long shot.  50 to 1.

Maybe with SSL and Stripe so it's all on site it would be different? 

I don't think it's terrible or anything. I think it's really good. Just something needs to change and I don't even know what that is. 

at the bar sounds cool   if only i was so local ha ha    Ill stick to a pay pal button for recurrng subcriptions for now though.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived