Name of the zip file (IPS Community Suite.zip)

Gabriel Torres

Just a quick feedback. When we download the community suite, it is always downloaded as "IPS Community Suite.zip". You should change the name according to the version (e.g., "IPS Community Suite-4.1.5.zip"), so after downloading we know what version that zip file is about, as with time we end up with several files with the same name here.

I am sure this would help all your customers.

1 hour ago, Nathan Explosion said:

It takes me 1 second to change the name of the file when downloading.

This is if you don't have your downloads automated that you choose yes and it auto downloads. For me it is a far longer process. (Download file, open Downloads, find file, rename).

They should do this, especially since the whole suite's version numbers are synced now. No good argument against a simple change to reduce friction for users.

Having a whole bunch of IPS Community Suite(20).zip files lying around has always bugged me.

This is pointless unless you also have the file named for the domain that the licence serves. I have two active licenses with different applications for each, so adding a version is useless unless I know which domain it relates to. I know I will not be unique in this respect.

It takes all of 5 seconds for me to rename the file once it's downloaded. It takes a second or so to delete an older copy. It's simple housekeeping.

I'd rather IPS invest their time actually adding value. :p

9 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

It wouldn't take more than 30 seconds to add the suite version to the generated zip file. I don't think it will be a problem that will stop a developer from not do their duties on a business IPS day.

You undoubtedly know more than me in that respect. I'm just talking from the view point of an ignorant (as in, no clue as to the work required) customer. :)

On 8 December 2015 at 5:28 AM, Adriano Faria said:

It wouldn't take more than 30 seconds to add the suite version to the generated zip file. I don't think it will be a problem that will stop a developer from not do their duties on a business IPS day.

It's a bit more complicated than that. They get generated with a random key and then we just send a Content-Disposition header when you download to give it a somewhat friendly name, but at that point the system doesn't know what's in the zip.

But... I'll see what I can do :)

Not a question of lazy. After I hit the download key I'm usually not aware of exactly what number and build I may be downloading. I don't want to overwrite previous versions I have installed. I don't want to hit cancel, wait for Chrome to clear the download. Look at the version number if visible, click download, rename the file according and then download. I appreciate IPS looking into this because most of the time this format exists this way for a reason. Thank you guys for looking into it.

18 hours ago, esquire said:

Not a question of lazy. After I hit the download key I'm usually not aware of exactly what number and build I may be downloading. I don't want to overwrite previous versions I have installed. I don't want to hit cancel, wait for Chrome to clear the download. Look at the version number if visible, click download, rename the file according and then download. I appreciate IPS looking into this because most of the time this format exists this way for a reason. Thank you guys for looking into it.

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 2:12 PM, steve00 said:

Why not when downloading .... create a folder with the file version (e.g. IPB 4_1_5) then save the file within that ... that's what I do

I'm one for keeping things neat and tidy and I'm folder daft but their is only so much organisation and folder clicking you can do to get a file before you start losing the plot. Proper naming of files, is something I very keen on and something I'm always going on about in the office, for instance our quotes normally start off with

602100001 but who did that, you can't tell until accessed, so put CF at the end of the reference lets everyone know, who it is that processed it - same applies here with the IPS Community Suite zip name, how do you know what version it is that you have saved (if you are not renaming it or folder structure clean)?

3 hours ago, steve00 said:

On 12/9/2015 at 9:12 AM, steve00 said:

Why not when downloading .... create a folder with the file version (e.g. IPB 4_1_5) then save the file within that ... that's what I do

Thanks for the instructions but the issue is clearly not that we don't know how to name folders. If 9 out of 10 times I don't have to do this, chances are I won't remember to do the IPS 4 dance until I'm past the point where it makes a difference. This is a minor annoyance, end of story.

24 minutes ago, Greg W said:

I have a different view and a different solution

Why do you need to keep the old update files?

Surely, once you have the next update, you can delete the previous one?

I see no use for the old update file

For you, maybe. I ALWAYS keep backups just in case (a) ROLLBACK - I discover that new versions conflict with critical functionality due to customizations, mods, etc. and I need to rollback; (b) I need to do a file comparison between new and old to see what has changed; to name a few.

Archived