Please remove white space from quotes, messy posts a problem

chilihead

Quotes have looked messy since 3.4. yes the editor is WYSIWYG but when you quote someone, you don't intend to also quote any extra white space that is used in the original post, and sometimes white space is used to replace things like quotes.

Example would be, quote a post that has a quote in it.

ips_quotes.png.0fb29c8d110c1876c90fa7de4

Quoted:

ips_quotes2.png.32bea2ad8f04c063a5f4eba0

Why did it create a double space?

Quoting a spoiler, and spoilers add a double space, but why does it quote it?

ips_quotes3.png.9df5bc31570208eec31e9787

Quoting an embed, really messy:

ips_quotes4.png.b2548074303e946427e4c861

It's just gets messier the more that is in the post, white space on top, or bottom, can't it be stripped from quotes? It is not intended and looks messy.

Thanks!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible to clear up all posts by checking for empty paragraphs at the end of all posts? I'm not clever I have no idea how these things work but if possible it would be nice so I didn't have to clean up posts like this

32 minutes ago, daveoh said:

Is it possible to clear up all posts by checking for empty paragraphs at the end of all posts? I'm not clever I have no idea how these things work but if possible it would be nice so I didn't have to clean up posts like this

Yes, this please.

I asked for this so many times.

All of the above!

The embeds even have way more white space than is posted that is seen in the wysiwyg, I reported that, but @craigf136 I also reported what you just posted, the extra white space in the embed here, but...

Rikki says:

On 11/10/2015 at 7:57 AM, Rikki said:

The space on embeds is intentional.

??

And yes please trim extra white space at the ends of posts. Unless there is a bunch of lines and then a word, it is not intended. And if it is, strip it anyway, it's just someone being annoying or a mistake.

White space is a killer of vertical space as well as ugly.

This is what is looked like when a member here quoted Lindy, and Lindy's post had 2 quotes in it followed by his text.

Quotes are not quoted so why would it be "intended" to fill a quote with white space where quotes were? Or any other element or white space between those elements? And add white space to end? Why can't this be stripped who wants quotes like this?

Imagine quoting 5 people and someone quotes you. It would be huge amounts of white space. Why can't it just be the quote?

ips_quote_space.thumb.png.d76c6157d878a6

^ Would an admin chime in if that is a bug or really intended? I don't see how grabbing white space between quotes that aren't even used in the quote would be intended. Since quotes are stripped why not strip the surrounding white space? Or any white space above or below as no need to quote padding from original post no matter what caused it.

For that matter the bottom of posts too, anything after the last element.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

This post 

ips_white_space_quote.png.289a0a9fae5e39

Quoted, seriously, wants quotes like this on their site?

ips_white_space_quote2.thumb.png.b0979a9

Is there any plan to trim white space from the end of posts and quotes? You can see the white space in the post is not intended, there is no text after. And it is then quoted. It should be trimmed from the end of posts, but if for whatever reason that is not happening, there is no reason for it to be quoted.

6 hours ago, Vikestart said:

IPS4 has a lot of small aesthetic issues, and this is definitely one of them. And also the unfiltered white-space at the end of posts.

Both of those should be addressed imo. And to clarify, I am not opposed to white space within the post body until after the last/word element. If a user wants to type a word, 10 spaces, then a word, show the ten spaces. Addressing anything within the post would not follow WYSIWYG. But trimming the tailing white space after the last word/element is just housekeeping and makes for a tidy post and site overall. Sometimes the space is put there by an embed or other element. It just needs to be trimmed like in 3.4. The extra space is also a contributing factor to the messy quotes, but not the only factor as seen above so those white spaces (above and below) should be trimmed. Would make for a much cleaner result.

Thanks

On 1/9/2016 at 2:32 PM, David T. Cole said:

Basically I told my dev to strip all p, br and space at the end of posts and quotes. That sound like it would cover it?

If you come up with a solution can you please share it? Thanks a lot!

Side note: YouTube and post embeds are adding white space to the top now (and it's not seen until you save the post) which is really annoying when only posting the embed or not adding text above. You may want to try to trim the top as well. I'm not sure why IPS won't just add code to tidy posts up.

On December 8, 2015 at 1:26 AM, craigf136 said:

The additional white space when linking to another topic/page is something that needs to be looked at.

463266218e0bb4b3230de34dcb3b5ccf.png

I looked at this today. This space is due to a min.height parameter passed in root.framework.js and is not addressable in CSS or HTML. I have no idea how to fix that.

Archived