How should I know that my PM box is full?

motomac

Recently one user told me that he can't send PM message to me, because my inbox folder if full. I will never know if this guy doesn't inform me about that. Why there was no any catchy warning or even blocking sending messages function? So I don't know, how many messages I missed... That's very serious problem.

Also I think an administrator should have an option in the ACP to switch ON old messages auto-deletion.

That's an excellent question and one that I hope IPS will explore.  

In my v3 board, I used to aggressively send out mass messaged on new updates, holiday announcements, etc.  And then I realized members weren't receiving any messaged because their inboxes were all full!

There should be a warning to both the sender and the receiver that they can only receive additional messages.  

Definitely needed.

In the meantime there is this setting if it helps you as admin:

Override recipients' storage quota?
If enabled, members in this group will be able to send messages to other members even if the recipient has reached their maximum number of stored messages.

Turn this on for mod/admin, so when members are over quota it does not block staff messages. Not suggesting it the other way around, then there is no point to quotas, so yes, improvement needed.

1 hour ago, Joel R said:

That's an excellent question and one that I hope IPS will explore.  

In my v3 board, I used to aggressively send out mass messaged on new updates, holiday announcements, etc.  And then I realized members weren't receiving any messaged because their inboxes were all full!

There should be a warning to both the sender and the receiver that they can only receive additional messages.  

The over quota setting was also in 3.4, the messages would have gone through if enabled. ;)

Notification is a half-solution. Unfortunately, majority of my users don't care about such notifications. They just ignore them. They only want to post some stuff on the forum or via PM without any additional annoying actions. It's too hard for them. I'm talking about people 40-50 years old.

I moved to IPS from phpBB 2. There was no such problem, because old messages were deleted automatically. If you want to save some PMs (unusual action), you need to do some "additional annoying actions", but if you don't need it, just use the forum and don't worry.

So I think, an option "Automatically delete old PMs" in the ACP is the best solution.

7 hours ago, motomac said:

Notification is a half-solution.

7 hours ago, motomac said:

So I think, an option "Automatically delete old PMs" in the ACP is the best solution.

I don't think delete content without user consent is a good thing to do. If the PMs are there that's because the user didn't want to delete it OR will delete the ones he want; not those the system pick, like old ones... I have on IPS PMs from 2012 that are important to me, until today:

Capturar.png

I don't want my old data to be deleted. I CHOOSE what I want to delete. That's why it is like it is.

On 07/12/2015 at 1:04 AM, Square Wheels said:

Adriano for President!  This guy makes solid mods, most of which should be stock options.  IPS needs to buy many of these things from him.

The thing is this should be a default.. Your email providers show how much storage you have left, so why isn't the PM system the same. We shouldn't need to install a hook to do this...

Thanks for creating one though Adriano! 

Archived