Banned Members... Are They Really Members Just Like Me?

Teddy Rogers

One of the annoyances/dislikes/confusion/(add appropriate naughty word(s) here) since moving from IP.Board 3.x to 4.1 is with banned members. In pre-4.1 when a member was banned they would be nicely moved to a banned members group. When browsing through a topic and a banned members post was visible it was nice and easy to determine whom the banned members were/are. In 4.1 it's a bit unnerving in that I don't really know if a member was banned or not because there is no visual indication representing the member as being banned. The only way for me to do this now is to go in to AdminCP and view the member and look for the "adjust ban" button. If it is there then I know that member has been banned. Surely there is a much more simpler and easier way to determine if a member has been banned!?

Ted.

7 minutes ago, Morrigan said:

I prefer that people not be able to see it. It's a privacy thing. People don't need to know when others are banned. I remove the content that got the person banned in the first place so seeing it there is just a nasty black mark that I don't think is necessary.

My members start asking a lot of questions when members just stop visiting. I get questions like 'was x banned', 'why did x stop visiting', etc... Which is easily solved by simply letting it be known that the person was banned.

Then put your foot down. "It's none of your business". I get those questions as well but telling someone or showing someone is like airing someone's dirty laundry or telling them about something that isn't anything that they have any business putting their nose into.

Putting up the banned flag doesn't do anything for that, it just gives them a reason to ask "Why was this person banned?" which isn't any better. People are nosy by nature giving them a reason to be nosy won't help or hinder that.

Being banned is like being excommunicated or something and puts a black mark on someone moving forward. It's demeaning and rude. For someone that has been banned, and I won't say whether it was good or bad reason, I don't want someone to know it unless they come talk to me about it.

The admin of the sites responsibility is to protect it, not to broadcast why I'm not a part of it.

I want to add to that. It's like being fired from a job for me. It's no business of my next job why I left or was forced to leave my last job, I have left it, lets move forward.

What my community wants and what I want are two totally separate things. I'm the administrator of the board and I don't even know who has been banned unless I actively go about checking each and every member, that is my point. Yes, I could create a new user group and move people in there but it's a lot of naughty boys and girls that need to be moved. Maybe I slept through the upgrade process and missed the option of removing what has been a default banned members group since... well... erm... the last fifteen years! Basically all I would like is an option in IP.Board that lets me know who are banned without having to resort to some plugin or enhancement...

Ted.

• Management

Some don't want a visual indication that a member is banned. Some do. In either case, that's not the purpose of usergroups in IPS4 -- but if you would like a public indication to non-admins for whatever reason (I don't think it's anyone's business outside of administration), you can (re)create a banned group and opt to move people into it as they are banned. 

hotanime_2015-12-02_01-45-56.png

How to find all members that are banned? ACP -> Members -> Members -> Banned

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2015 at 2:50 PM, Lindy said:

Some don't want a visual indication that a member is banned. Some do. In either case, that's not the purpose of usergroups in IPS4

Isn't that kind of a moot reply considering that a member can go to a persons profile page to see they are banned? It would be nice if it was easier to identify for moderators and admins in the forums topics/posts...

Ted.

• Management

A member has no way of knowing whether another member is banned. That indicator on the profile only shows to your site staff. This is the perfect use-case for a simple modification. From a default installation standpoint, we prefer to keep the user pane as clean and clutter-free as possible. You've demonstrated a need to see who is banned - we have suggested leveraging the usergroup function in tandem with the ban feature to give you, your members and moderators more of a visual indicator site-wide that a member is banned. Anything beyond that is likely better left to the marketplace. 

We'll continue to monitor this topic in the future for additional feedback and reconsider accordingly. Currently, there's no action to be taken based on the feedback provided. 

6 minutes ago, Lindy said:

A member has no way of knowing whether another member is banned. That indicator on the profile only shows to your site staff. This is the perfect use-case for a simple modification. From a default installation standpoint, we prefer to keep the user pane as clean and clutter-free as possible. You've demonstrated a need to see who is banned - we have suggested leveraging the usergroup function in tandem with the ban feature to give you, your members and moderators more of a visual indicator site-wide that a member is banned. Anything beyond that is likely better left to the marketplace. 

We'll continue to monitor this topic in the future for additional feedback and reconsider accordingly. Currently, there's no action to be taken based on the feedback provided. 

My only real complaint is that my banned usergroup was deleted without any option not to do so during the upgrade and no notice that it was going to happen. I had about 2000 users in that group and they've apparently been merged into the default user group.

I'd have preferred some mention that this was going to happen or even an option not to have it happen during the upgrade.

• Management
5 minutes ago, Koby said:

My only real complaint is that my banned usergroup was deleted without any option not to do so during the upgrade and no notice that it was going to happen. I had about 2000 users in that group and they've apparently been merged into the default user group.

I'd have preferred some mention that this was going to happen or even an option not to have it happen during the upgrade.

That's a fair enough point and I apologize for the inconvenience that caused. Did you perform the upgrade or did we?

Just create a banned group and call it what you want. Set its permissions accordingly then hide the group from public view where only staff can see these people. You and your staff will be the only ones who will be able to see these peoples profiles and userpanes. The rest of the community will not.

5 minutes ago, kar3n2 said:

whats the point of keeping a banned group? They are simply going to comeback as somebody else at some point anyway.... surely? :unsure:

Most of them are too stupid to even think of using a different IP or even a vastly different name for their email or display name so it sometimes helps to have history to check.

Archived