Post Anonymously in Forums

Hi, I purchased this plug in as a Club needs the ability for users to post anon in the club but I can't see any way to limit the Anon ability to say a club, only forums. If I select ALL forums then the Anon ability is available for ALL clubs.

Ideally I would like it then to be able to just be on 1 forum and 1 or more clubs...any suggestions on how I can achieve this...thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Quick bug and save for maybe verifying that a user gets registered I think Post Anonymously needs to be completely hidden from guest users (currently I'm getting spammed through this mod). But to explain the issue:

• Post before register is used.
  • Any of my user groups can post anonymously.
  • I do NOT have enforced post anonymously forums.

As it stands the Post Anonymously thing bypasses proper post before Registering options.

I have a few posts where the end user was able to post but there is no "Check Anonymous" data. It went through without moderation. Probably because I use an actual account (I use Posts appear as posted by) and that account is a proper user account that can post.

So basically, Post Anonymously is bypassing post before register in this situation it appears.

I noted the setting "Turn off 'Post Before Register' in forums where anonymous posting is enforced" but this isn't the case here. They are getting the option to choose to post anonymously as a guest which in turn is allowing them to bypass proper registration. I did verify and the IP was exclusive to 4 posts but no registrations.

@TSP

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 11/6/2019 at 5:34 AM, Sonya* said:

Hi, can I replace Guest 63296...646 by just Anonymous

• I do not want Guest. It should be Anonymous, so that users see this is not posted by guest but by user who is registered but has an ability to post anonymous?
  • I would like to delete the line "Anonymous poster hash: 63296...646" below the post.

I would like both these things as well. Is this possible, @TSP?

5 minutes ago, Paul E. said:

I would like both these things as well. Is this possible, @TSP?

Should be possible to achieve currently for future posts. 

1) Make an account with the name Anonymous

2) Choose this user account for the setting "Posts appear as posted by"

3) In your language packs, find the string with key anon_poster_hash. Change it to whatever you'd like. If you wish for it to be removed, I think you can try to just translate it as  

19 hours ago, TSP said:

Should be possible to achieve currently for future posts. 

1) Make an account with the name Anonymous

2) Choose this user account for the setting "Posts appear as posted by"

3) In your language packs, find the string with key anon_poster_hash. Change it to whatever you'd like. If you wish for it to be removed, I think you can try to just translate it as  

Would it be possible to, rather than associate with a single account (which would have a feed of posts by this placeholder member), instead associate with no account (an actual guest), yet set a static display name (or even give the end user the ability to select their own "guest" display name).

In other words, if we could have this so that we essentially allow "guests" to post, but only when logged in as a member, and that link is kept hidden from non-moderators.

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, TSP said:

Hello, 
I haven't had time to update or test this on 4.5 yet. I don't know when either unfortunately

Thanks for letting me know. I'd really like to purchase it, so I'll keep an eye on this thread. 🙂

Sounds like you're really busy. I hope things smooth out for you soon. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 11:59 PM, TSP said:

Hello, 
I haven't had time to update or test this on 4.5 yet. I don't know when either unfortunately

@TSPI know you mention here that you haven't had time to update/test on 4.5, is there any updates on this matter? Your plugin is a core feature in our community and would appreciate an update for this. Currently the plugin works on 4.5 for us but what is broken is the ability to see who the anonymous poster is (even if you are an Admin with full permissions you don't have access to the button to see who the true poster is).

• 3 months later...

Hello,

We had a lot of fun with your plugin but we just upgraded to 4.5.4.2 and it's no longer working. The button « post anonymously » won't show anymore.

Shall I try to uninstall and reinstall it?

How come the marketplace is asking me to buy it again?

Thank you.

• 3 months later...

FYI - works fine with current version of 4.5.x

On 5/11/2020 at 5:09 PM, TSP said:

This does not work, by the way. -- EDIT: Never mind, it *does* work, but there are several 'anon_poster_hash', be sure to hit them all.

Edited by DaffyDuck
  • 1 month later...

For those wondering, this doesn't work in 4.6 based on my testing.

Even though 4.6 has an anonymous posting feature, this plugin was much much better. In fact, now that this 4.6 feature is more mainstream but SO basic, maybe your plugin would have an even greater audience (as an improvement of a base feature) versus previously being a rather niche and unique idea? Just a thought!

The fact that it could force anonymous posting for specific groups or not, and for specified forums was always so important to me. The worry was people "accidentally" posting as themselves meaning to be anonymous but forgetting to toggle the switch which this plugin handles, but 4.6 does not.

Also, keeping mods and even admin-level people from easily unmasking users, and logging who HAS unmasked made me love this plugin even more. Part of reasonably anonymity is making it not too easy for staff to unmask, which yours handled quite nicely.

And I loved the option of either creating a dedicated dummy account to ascribe authorship to, or just letting it do a guest hash.

Seriously, 4.6's ability is SO BASIC compared to yours. 😞

Edited by Brainy S.
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
13 hours ago, Canis said:

Installed today on 4.7.10. Seems to work, but ACP/Support gives a PHP8 critical incompatibility error.
Using PHP Version 8.1.19.

Hi, could you post the error here or send me a PM? I don't get any such warnings myself. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2023 at 6:19 PM, Canis said:

Still no reply.

Sorry for the delay, things have unfortunately been hectic on my end. It also turned out I locally had a slightly different version of 1.2.3 which caused me not be able to reproduce. 

I've seen in a new minor update, 1.2.3.1, for Marketplace review. Hopefully it gets approved soon, I've sent a headsup to someone at Invision 🙂

Edited by TSP