Fed up with being banned by the firewall

Sam Palfery

I can understand your frustration when what should be a simple thing does not work.

A ticket is the way to go though as the tech will probably want to see what IP (or IP's) you typically use to see if anything can be done at "our end" as such.

Thank you for your continued patience.

2 hours ago, Sam Palfery said:

I'm trying to download and backup my forums via Filezilla FTP, it appears that the passive ports are not open therefore it keeps timing out and I cannot connect for ages. Please can someone in control of the IPS servers open the passive ports or...?

but your posts are not stored in files, they are done by SQL :s

8 hours ago, MADMAN32395 said:

but your posts are not stored in files, they are done by SQL :s

Not sure what you've missed here but I am using a FTP client (Filezilla) to manage my Database. The type of transfer is FTP. You are forced to use ''Plain FTP'' only as a transfer method as the IPS firewall will block your IP from connecting to the hosting server if you request a TLS connection, I do not know why but it does and I've been blocked many times and had to submit a ticket to be unblocked which has resulted in me not been able to access my site for days, collectively. Plain FTP transfer is insecure anyway so this isn't a good solution to be transferring by this type. Nethertheless I am doing it because I have to and about 20 minutes into downloading my Database so I can back it up & perform the upgrade...Filezilla Times out, FTP transfers stop and I can no-longer access my site nor the Database via Filezilla.

1 minute ago, MADMAN32395 said:

I never had cloud hosting with ips, so this is new to me. Did not realise that you guys were accessing database files from the ftp.

Yeah it's a tricky one...all I want to do is upgrade but want to DL my database for a backup first. I am now downloading it with Filezilla, and I get this message about every 6-10 seconds and then it carries on, something isn't right :S

Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 11.19.17.png

8 hours ago, Sam Palfery said:

Yeah it's a tricky one...all I want to do is upgrade but want to DL my database for a backup first. I am now downloading it with Filezilla, and I get this message about every 6-10 seconds and then it carries on, something isn't right :S

Screen Shot 2015-11-26 at 11.19.17.png

So you guys don't get a database login to where you could do a normal backup outside of a ftp client?

On 11/26/2015, 8:45:16, AndyF said:

There used to be Cpanel available but I'm not sure if the newer (or smaller) packages come with it now.

On 11/26/2015, 8:46:55, MADMAN32395 said:

I knew the cloud hosting had cpanel at one point but was removed. I've never done cloud hosting with ips. So I'm just shooting in the dark lol 

Yeah unfortunately I don't have cpanel :/

• Management

I think you may be a bit confused, unfortunately. What you're doing is not downloading your database; you're downloading the application files. It's not possible to download the database via FTP - if you need the database for whatever reason, please let us know and we can export a copy. FTP, like cPanel will eventually be phased out (though we will have a web file manager for simple edits) as it's not really "cloud friendly" and has only been meant as a convenience to work directly with themes and certain plugins, which is largely unnecessary with IPS4. What you can download via FTP currently is largely useless to you as almost all of it is encoded. 

Your database is stored on a MySQL server -- again, you cannot access that via FTP. Further, I would point out, the large benefit to IPS Community in the Cloud is the fact that you needn't worry about backups, we do that at least daily for you. If you have any concerns about this though, please feel free to open a ticket. 

I do not see a block listed currently for you, so I suspect you're all set at this point. 

Tip: Maybe you can use navicat with http tunneling. You can connect your database, juist like your forum connects. Some hosts don't want you to connect directly and doesn't have phpmyadmin. So a http tunnel will be great in this situation.

http://www.navicat.com/manual/online_manual/en/navicat/rv_manual/HTTPSettings.html

it's paid software but I really recommend :)

15 hours ago, Lindy said:

I think you may be a bit confused, unfortunately. What you're doing is not downloading your database; you're downloading the application files. It's not possible to download the database via FTP - if you need the database for whatever reason, please let us know and we can export a copy. FTP, like cPanel will eventually be phased out (though we will have a web file manager for simple edits) as it's not really "cloud friendly" and has only been meant as a convenience to work directly with themes and certain plugins, which is largely unnecessary with IPS4. What you can download via FTP currently is largely useless to you as almost all of it is encoded. 

Your database is stored on a MySQL server -- again, you cannot access that via FTP. Further, I would point out, the large benefit to IPS Community in the Cloud is the fact that you needn't worry about backups, we do that at least daily for you. If you have any concerns about this though, please feel free to open a ticket. 

I do not see a block listed currently for you, so I suspect you're all set at this point. 

Ah I see, thanks Lindy, I did request a ticket for upgrade Etc. and I said about a backup and didn't receive a reply so I tried to do it myself, thanks.

Archived