all activities stream on home page "index"

SJ77

I setup an index page using IP-Pages but noticed I can't throw an all activity stream onto my page. I think this should be an option.

I would like to drop all activity feed into the side bar.

I realize I could make the all activity stream my home page but then I loose access to many of the custom blocks I use.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm also trying to set up the All Activity stream as the landing page of my site, the page displayed in the root of my domain...

It would be nice if we could drag streams into pages with the drag and drop builder, or maybe make stream blocks for pages.

You can make the Activity page your homepage and still continue to use blocks. I do that as well.

5682ccae61ea0_Bildschirmfoto2015-12-29um

You can’t however use the activity stream as sidebar block, which makes sense, because it just holds too much information to be used that way and is supposed to be the core functionality of that page. Same is true for forum index, gallery index, store index and sections like that. 

1 hour ago, opentype said:

You can make the Activity page your homepage and still continue to use blocks. I do that as well.

5682ccae61ea0_Bildschirmfoto2015-12-29um

You can’t however use the activity stream as sidebar block, which makes sense, because it just holds too much information to be used that way and is supposed to be the core functionality of that page. Same is true for forum index, gallery index, store index and sections like that. 

But how do you add the stream into a page just like you have it in that screenshot?

Just now, opentype said:

You don’t. You simply make the activity module the default module and the system app the default app. The widget zones are on that page automatically. 

Oh pfft I see, thanks.

It would be nice if we could keep the pages app as the default app and still insert streams in the pages.

16 minutes ago, opentype said:

You don’t. You simply make the activity module the default module and the system app the default app. The widget zones are on that page automatically. 

I didn't have access to some blocks when I did this. Including some of my custom blocks.

16 minutes ago, -FP said:

It would be nice if we could keep the pages app as the default app and still insert streams in the pages.

Not sure what the difference would be. The default app status in this case only controls the homepage link. Whether that routes to Pages or the System app wouldn’t matter. 

2 minutes ago, superj707 said:

I didn't have access to some blocks when I did this. Including some of my custom blocks.

I’m using custom blocks just fine on that activity page.  

On 12/29/2015 at 2:33 PM, -FP said:

I want to have the pages as the default app so I can list articles and other stuff in the frontpage, I want to have a 2 column page, one for some pages app content, and the other for the activity stream.

To be clear, @opentype is suggestijg that - instead of trying to drag-and-drop an Activity Stream widget onto an existing page, which is impossible because there are no widgets for AS - that you build the page around the Activity Stream.

It's not a bad workaround.  

But it would be more powerful if IPS simply included widgets for any Activity Stream.  

4 hours ago, Joel R said:

To be clear, @opentype is suggestijg that - instead of trying to drag-and-drop an Activity Stream widget onto an existing page, which is impossible because there are no widgets for AS - that you build the page around the Activity Stream.

It's not a bad workaround.  

But it would be more powerful if IPS simply included widgets for any Activity Stream.  

I know, I've done that. But I can only add blocks to the stream page if done that way, I want to keep listing my articles kinda like a blog, and also have the stream on the side.

• Management

As opentype said, it's just not feasible as a mere block. AS is a top-level page and not intended to be embedded within other top-level pages; as mentioned, it's just too much. Your server will thank you for not trying to do that. :)

Archived