My upgrade feedback - Xenforo to IPB 4

nodle

I thought I would leave some feedback here also. Seems like there is so much hate with the new version of IPB 4. I just came from the latest version of Xenforo back to IPB. Now a lot of people have been asking me why. I have even had people on here PMing me on here asking if I am crazy. Seem like most people are converting the opposite way. But I like a lot of new things they have done with IPB 4. I first have to convert into the 3.4.8 version before going to 4. It was a little bit of work but got everything imported in expect Member's passwords. Not to big of a deal. Now the upgrade to 4 could had been a little more clear, but thanks to some Members here on this board I got it figured out and was able to get it upgraded. The only thing not really working at the moment is the whole Youtube video thing which @Lindy has spoken about and is gonna try to fix. I have a ticket in for it and @Rhett is looking into. Once this is take care of and they re-appear again I will be all the way happy. Alot of people complain because it doesn't have a lot of advance features in the ACP, but honestly sometime you can get confused. I would get so confused with the permissions for member groups etc. IPB has them simplified and easy to understand. Another great feature is the support built into the ACP. I love how it creates an admin user for you automatically so support can log in and then you can delete afterwards. This is an amazing feature! I hated having to create a Admin user in Xenforo and it was a hassle where I didn't even want to submit a ticket. This is also great for support to be able to help people that may not be as knowledgeable as others. I for one love the new activity feed also. Plus skins were never my favorite with Xenforo. You have a couple of great skin makers over there but alot of them are starting to lack in support and releases. With IPB you also have @ehren. skin's and support. I know IPB has some bugs right now but I am sure they will be fixed in time. I can't wait to try the auto update feature on the next release. So far I am enjoying it so far and still poking around with some features and am looking to more features being added in the future. Just get the Youtube video issues fixed and I will be happy. So keep up the great work with IPB guys after every release it's getting better and better! :thumbsup:

See, I go to the opposite.  I WANT (and require) that power that all those options allow.  And as for buying styles?  I'd rather grab a framework and process from there, that way at least my site is somewhat unique.
What is the strengths to you was the major weaknesses to me.  I WANT to be able to run a promotion based upon someone checking "Yes" to a custom user field upon registration and automatically add them to a secondary group that grants them access to certain forums that are not general public accessible (like "H.O.G. member, and if so, promote them to the H.O.G. usergroup) without having to go out and spend $30-50 for an add-on.

Basically it comes down to (for the controls/ability)

Simplistic (for those that don't want to get their hands dirty)
or
Power (for those that like to have more control)

Once you gain a grasp of the permissions and the power - and get to where you use them, the simplistic aspect of the IPS is a let down.  And yes, I DO use those features extensively.

From your comment about "back to IPB" I'm going to assume you had it before XenForo - and yes, coming from the simplistic controls of IPS to the XenForo abilities are a large jump - larger than some people can ever gain a grasp of.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎48‎:‎53‎, Tracy Perry said:

And as for buying styles?  I'd rather grab a framework and process from there, that way at least my site is somewhat unique.

Not sure the word unique is one i'd use with them ;) But that's a matter of opinion so I wont of course debate that lol.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2015‎ ‎12‎:‎48‎:‎53‎, Tracy Perry said:

Simplistic (for those that don't want to get their hands dirty)
or
Power (for those that like to have more control)

That in itself is great to hear. But at the same time, when a product has a huge learning curve is it really worth it for power? There comes a point and time where you have to truly rethink and make sure this is the right thing. It's not about not wanting to get your hands dirty but it is about wanting to do more than spending time having to learn something when that time can and should be better spent focused on your community.

Simplistic is a weakness in IPS as it is a strength...as is the power of XF which also comes at a weakness as well. So it is a double edged sword really and merely a matter of which cons are less severe for the individual.

On ‎11‎/‎20‎/‎2015‎ ‎11‎:‎06‎:‎19‎, nodle said:

Plus skins were never my favorite with Xenforo. You have a couple of great skin makers over there but alot of them are starting to lack in support and releases.

Agree with you here <3 Though Ehren is a lifesafer and I enjoy his work(both on IPS and XF) and I wish some of the few designers would make their skins available for IPB4.

Welcome to IPB(I am a little late lol, just catching up on topics) and I am hoping it is a smooth experience for you!

Archived