Notification button on mobile

ehku

• 3 months later...

I'm not convinced having a long list of icons in the header would be an improvement in this case. The hamburger icon does show a notification bubble with the combined count of unread Notifications and Messages, so that information is still front-and-center.

17 minutes ago, Rikki said:

I'm not convinced having a long list of icons in the header would be an improvement in this case. The hamburger icon does show a notification bubble with the combined count of unread Notifications and Messages, so that information is still front-and-center.

Of course it's an improvement. Reducing from 2 clicks to 1 click is a clear improvement ;) (especially when it's something we visit the most often).

I guess that you have received only very few notifications when browsing IPS on mobile (or you haven't browsed IPS powered communities quite often on mobile). 

We are in the mobile era guys, mobile experience is as important as desktop experience.

P/s: Facebook Is Basically Forcing Its Employees To Use Android Phones Because Its Android App Is Just Awful

Instead, Facebook management realizes its Android app is subpar—and believes that the only way employees will take fixing it seriously is if they have to deal with its issues day in, day out.

Couldn't agree more and really happy other people are focusing on mobile as I feel the IPS suite is heaverly skewed towards desktop. Mobile-first is the only way to design these days and there is a lot of data to confirm that the hamburger is rarely clicked. Designers like me love it as we can hide stuff away neat and tidy. And that answers the question right there - it's hidden and no on clicks it. I actually think it's less important for notifications as users will learn where that is.

For guests especially, it's super important to think about how the suite drives traffic around the mobile interface - currently key stuff is buried 2 or 3 levels down within the hamburger and an overly complicated feature set. The gallery is a good example of a module that simply doesn't work on mobile.

On the latest version of this site (invisionpower.com), the brand/logo seems to have been completely removed on mobile within the community area - what is the thinking there?

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2016 at 9:10 AM, Rikki said:

If by front-and-center, you really mean hidden-and-tucked-away.  Having the notification count is very different than being able to access the notifications, which in practice is the first thing I do whether on mobile or on PC.  

I suppose, ultimately, making it customisable might be the best option. Offer the ability to decide what icons are show on the from and which are shown in the nav pane.

For instance, someone might feel that "unread content" is less important than "notifications" and might want them swapped.

I imagine adding that functionality is easier said than done. Tough job trying to please everyone :rofl:

While I agree that customisation is the best option for everyone, I do honestly think that for 99% of the users the notifications is the first thing they want to check out - and I believe it MUST be right there on the header. Not hidden inside the hamburger menu. You can put the almost-never-used Search button in there, if you don't want to have too many icons at the same time.

1 hour ago, Omri Amos said:

While I agree that customisation is the best option for everyone, I do honestly think that for 99% of the users the notifications is the first thing they want to check out - and I believe it MUST be right there on the header. Not hidden inside the hamburger menu. You can put the almost-never-used Search button in there, if you don't want to have too many icons at the same time.

Putting the search button there wouldn't work well with how it's currently designed. As the search interface appears outside the "hamburger" menu.

Archived