Guest - Can't view forum category

JLS

Previously we had a 100% private forum. We are now trying to open up a tiny bit so we are letting guests view 1 individual forum area and the topics etc. Problem is, in the category permission set for Guest... the option is grayed out. So I can't let them view that one individual forum area like we want as it needs to be able to view the category which grays out that option. All other permissions are checkable but not that one?

Any ideas why or how I can change this? I've been through all the admin options I can think of...

Thanks

5 hours ago, Neej said:

Have you allowed guests access to view the top level of the forum? I'm assuming you are trying to have guests be able to view a subforum of the top level.

Using this forum as an example, I'm trying to allow them to view:

Welcome to IPS > Pre Sales

Its providing the viewing permissions checkbox for the guest permission group in Pre Sales but not in Welcome to IPS (forum category). The permissions checkbox is grayed out. 

2 hours ago, JLS said:

Using this forum as an example, I'm trying to allow them to view:

Welcome to IPS > Pre Sales

Its providing the viewing permissions checkbox for the guest permission group in Pre Sales but not in Welcome to IPS (forum category). The permissions checkbox is grayed out. 

So just to confirm, it is SEE FORUM that is greyed out and not READ TOPICS ?

If Welcome to IPS is a 'Category' type forum, the option for read topics will be greyed out as no topics can exist inside the Category. Double check that first.

If that is not the issue and you still can't figure it out, I'm happy to take a look for you in ACP if you setup a temporary admin account with limited settings.

Yeah, so here is the root category General Topics and Discussions forum area:

564c4c4eb5b2e_ScreenShot2015-11-18at1.57

General Topic permissions (category):

564c4c4adcf69_ScreenShot2015-11-18at1.58

General Topic permission options for guest permission sets (category). Guest option is grayed out but others able to be selected:

564c4c4d0e3e9_ScreenShot2015-11-18at1.58

Discussions permission options for guest permission sets (forum). Works as expected except guest wouldn't be able to view due to the category permission sets above:

564c4c49644e7_ScreenShot2015-11-18at1.59

Thanks for trying to help me with this!

13 hours ago, Neej said:

Not really sure mate, unless I can see the permissions and forum setup myself I can't help further.

Ok thanks. If I can't figure it out soon then I'll figure out how to add that limited admin account so you can take a peak. Appreciate that offer...

It is weird because I just noticed other categories work fine with Guest. It's just this one :s
(and of course the one that I need...LOL)

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Another way to handle this is to create a test user and surf the site from a guest or low level of permission. Then you can tune the particular areas the way you want them to be.

Thanks for trying to help but I think you're miss-understanding the question...

Just to update this...

I don't know why I didn't think to try this earlier but I simply started a new category which allowed me to have guest visibility, dragged all the forums out of the old category and into the new, and then deleted the old. Then renamed it to match what the old category was called. Everything worked perfectly... Not sure what the issue was with that one particular category but it's not an issue anymore :)

Archived