New VPS server - now have issues

Square Wheels

I was getting tired of a slow shared server and moved to a VPS.  Now I have at least two issues.

1. Email does not send, none.
  2. Search returns an error. See below.

I asked the host to look at this, they said ask the vendor, there's nothing wrong with the serer.  I fear asking IPS because I'm on 4.0.13.1 and they'll say many errors have been fixed with the newest version and I need to upgrade before getting help.

Both email and search worked before the move.  I suspect this is something simple I just don't understand.

Any help on this is appreciated.

5647a88c9e4d2_Aconfigurationorservererro

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I was getting tired of a slow shared server and moved to a VPS.  Now I have at least two issues.

1. Email does not send, none.
  2. Search returns an error. See below.

I asked the host to look at this, they said ask the vendor, there's nothing wrong with the serer.  I fear asking IPS because I'm on 4.0.13.1 and they'll say many errors have been fixed with the newest version and I need to upgrade before getting help.

Both email and search worked before the move.  I suspect this is something simple I just don't understand.

Who is the "host" and is this a managed server?  If so, they should have set up an MTA for you.  They would also need to (for good mail practices) set up DKIM signing and the RDNS an SPF for the server's MX.

Have you reviewed your mail log to see if any errors are present there?  Where/how are you setting the mail up to be sent in IPS.  If SMTP, is it a valid SMTP server?

Well, technically, a VPS is still a shared server.

First, as Tray said you need to set up an MTA. For example, Postfix. Email setup is pretty much an headache to setup mainly due to the spam filters nowadays. You need to properly setup all the email chain.

Steps are:

1) Setup an mta (ex: postfix)

2) Setup Dkim signing (with OpenDKIM, for example)

3) Go to your domain registrar and set up three TXT Fields: SPF, DKIM and DMarc. Dmarc is not so important, but the two other ones are fundamental if you want your emails to reach destination...

4) Setup reverse IP (rDNS)

If you have a managed server, ask them to setup that. If you don't and you don't want to bother with that work, use an external smtp service.

Regarding the error you state, i would submit a ticket.

Archived