Why Annoying Request To Display Notifications?

Morpheo

When I visit my forum in Firefox, the forum seems to spam the Firefox browser with a request to display notifications, and the browser keeps asking me to confirm or deny this on every page load. It's highly annoying. Why is this happening and how do I completely disable these notification requests?

13 minutes ago, Morpheo said:

When I visit my forum in Firefox, the forum seems to spam the Firefox browser with a request to display notifications, and the browser keeps asking me to confirm or deny this on every page load. It's highly annoying. Why is this happening and how do I completely disable these notification requests?

Why is it happening? Because the forum software wants to know what you want to do with the notifications.

Why each page? Probably because you haven't made a choice.

How to disable them? Make a choice - you can have them always allowed, or only for the current browser or even disable them.

Look at the options you have and make the decision (Allow, Always Ask, Block)

8 hours ago, Morpheo said:

I don't understand, what are these notifications?

Is it possible to make the forum NOT generate any notifications by default. Users should not dealing with pop-ups of any kind, ever.

I've just quoted you - if you have your inline notifications set (see your profile/account settings for control on that) then you're getting notified (either in this browser window up to the top right). If you do happen to be online right now, but in another window, AND you've allowed those browser notifications (which I doubt you personally will have based on your feelings above) then you get a nice little notification to let you know something has happened over here.

As for 'is it possible......' - probably. Why not formulate your understanding of why/how it works first, then determine exactly what you don't want to happen (and why not) and then ask for further assistance in a measured manner. Personally, I trust my users to have the power to determine if they should be dealing with these.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, PANL said:

A time ago i requested a function by default to make a disable button in the notification area.

i don't think this is user friendly to support members by ask them to disable it at browser level. But that's just my opinion.

But your user can just decline it? So there is no browser notification for this domain ...

14 minutes ago, Admonstrator said:

But your user can just decline it? So there is no browser notification for this domain ...

if we live in a world where everyone read all text before pressing a button. then there is no problem. Unfortunately that's not enough the case.

• 3 weeks later...

This issue needs a solution. When visiting a website, the visitor should not have to make any decisions about whether to allow or not allow. Virtually no websites do this. I am web savvy with 20 years of internet experience, and even I don't know why this forum is asking for notifications, what these notifications are for, or why they're necessary. No forums do this. It's unorthodox and against proper web standards. It looks spammy and even like the forum is trying to hijack the browser. Very user-unfriendly. I don't know who would design such a feature and set it as a default without any ability to turn it off.

If I can't find a fix for this, I might have to switch to vBulletin or some other software, because this one design flaw will cost me 1000s of visitors over the months.

What code is actually causing the browser to ask for notifications? Can I strip that code out or comment it out?

I don’t like Morpheo’s exaggerated way of arguing about this, but I have to agree to the feature request. 
I am setting up a business site with IPS 4 which has no forum and mostly shows information with Pages. In this case there is no need at all to show notifications for user activities, yet everyone would be asked about it. There should be a setting to turn the browser notifications off. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
12 minutes ago, DSystem said:

I like this feature. If the forum user does not have the ability to handle a simple warning. Better not even register.

Check my earlier post. I am setting up a site with the Pages and Commerce. I don’t have a forum at all and no need for notifications. That’s the problem! 

9 hours ago, DSystem said:

My review is not based on your post.

That may be. But a way to disable it is the main topic. 

On 11/24/2015 at 1:43 AM, dsieber said:

is there a way to completely disable these notifications from happening?

On 11/13/2015 at 10:51 PM, Morpheo said:

how do I completely disable these notification requests?

On 12/12/2015 at 3:55 AM, Morpheo said:

What code is actually causing the browser to ask for notifications? Can I strip that code out or comment it out?

On 12/12/2015 at 6:28 AM, opentype said:

There should be a setting to turn the browser notifications off. 

Place this code in the globalTemplate inside <head> tag. This will disable annoying request for enabling browser notification in all pages except Notification Settings.

{{if !( \IPS\Dispatcher::i()->application->directory === 'core' && \IPS\Dispatcher::i()->controller === 'notifications' )}}
	<script type="text/javascript">
		Notification.requestPermission = function () {
			return false;
		};
	</script>
{{endif}}

Archived