Commerce flaws/wish list

chilihead

This has been since IPB 3 but I suggest the following:

1. Group Discounts - I need to be able to set a percentage not a hard price please. Setting a hard price discount causes issues, #1, the discount does not apply to the overall price if they add options, only the base price. So let's say I have on my site "Premium Members get 25% off in our store." They go to buy a $20 shirt. In the cart it is $15. Now they select XXL which adds $5. Now it is $20 instead of adding $3.75. We want it to be 25% off the total, not set the base price of the product. Issue #2, if you constantly change pricing you have to constantly change the discount base pricing. If it was a percentage, you would never need to touch it, and sometimes when you change pricing you forget you have to change the group base discount.

Why not make it like coupons? Where you select:
Take a specific amount off the invoice total.
Reduce the invoice total by a percentage.

2. Coupons do not apply to upgrades. If we have a membership sale we can use a coupon code for new sales and renewals. But not upgrades. And upgrades are pro-rated so there is no real way to use the group discount function (unless you made the change in issue 1). But they should still be able to use a coupon so there is no wordy explanation on how to obtain the discount, and simply because, coupons can be given to certain people and not the group.

3. Invoices/Transactions - In the sort/search options please let us select certain products that were purchased. Finding them by dollar amount is awkward with discounts and combined orders. We can go to the product and view purchases but it should also be in the invoice/transaction sort so other variables can be applied like dates, members, etc.

THANKS!

I agree with point 1, currently I give people a coupon, it would be easier to just say this usergroup gets 10%

Also another thing if you don't mind me adding to your thread... Custom fields, if a name could be given to them in the ACP to differentiate between them that doesn't show on the product page it would be great.

For example, I sell clothing, I have a custom field called Colour, but I have 5 of these custom fields called colour and I cannot differentiate between which one is on what product without going in to them.

• 3 months later...

Have many times needed to set a percentage for a group discount so the options are discounted as well, this is really limiting and there is no way around it. Customers get upset because they may be in a group that gets 20% off a product with options (as worded on public side), but you have to deduct the 20% and set the hard price, then they complain they didn't get 20% off because they added an option. Why can't we get percentage discount ability so it applies to the entire purchase?

So you have to type a disclaimer: "Your discount only applies to the product before options." If we want to discount the options, we simply can't.

And coupons for upgrades please. We can't include upgrades on our membership sales with coupons because it is not possible.

Hoping all these suggestions can be looked at, thanks. :)

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, shyest said:

Have you found any thing that has worked for the overall discount by percentage or full amount? 

Nope! Only workaround is use a coupon but then you have to make sure people get the code, and coupons cannot be used for upgrading a membership.

Hope these 2 issues can be added.

@shyest I would hope IPS would fix the issue, seems strange we can do this with coupons but not with discounts.

If I want to give my premium group 25% off of products I should be able to. As stated using the base price method means there's no way to include the options they add. And we should be able to discount the overall purchase. This also means every time you alter your base price you have to alter the group base prices. If you have it set to a percentage you never need to touch that setting.

THIS

ips_commerce_discount.thumb.png.28100fb0

Needs these two options added (which is from the coupon page, so it is possible, but only with a coupon).

ips_commerce_discount2.png.48cfcb9089a29

So then those that only want to alter the base price can, and those that need to discount the entire purchase can, by an amount or percentage.

It could be done with a "[x] Base price only" option after selecting one of the above options. Then it covers it all! You have the base price only or overall discount possibility with amounts and percentages. You could then even add the base price option to coupons, and both places have the same exact discount options.

@chilihead I'm not looking for exactly that but close...

needing to add discount functionality to commerce, more than what is available right now. currently theres these 3 choices.

uz9R44O.png

Most of  these 3 are self explanatory.

1st Usergroup: would apply a discount for the specific user for that item

2nd Previous Purchase: would be if they have purchased before you get a specific price for that item

3rd Sale Discount: allows you to discount 1 item after x amount are in your cart to $x.xx

I am needing exactly like the Sales Discount section however it will discount the whole sale. For example if someone buys 1-4 of my items the price is $435 an item however if they buy 5-9 items the price per item drops to $400.

So from the above an example... I have a customer wanting 3 items. they put in 3 and the total would come out to be $1,305. Now anther customer wanting 7 items their price would be $2,800. 

I am wanting it to look exactly like the "Sale Discounts" section but apply like I have described in the above paragraph example.

Yes you are looking for quantity discounts.

That would be a great feature as well. However if they did add that and it only applied to the base price you would still run into the issues I posted, which are more functionality issues. You can't discount the overall purchase at all unless it happens to be the base price.

It will be really robust and flexible if all of these could be added. :)

5 hours ago, chilihead said:

Yes you are looking for quantity discounts.

That would be a great feature as well. However if they did add that and it only applied to the base price you would still run into the issues I posted, which are more functionality issues. You can't discount the overall purchase at all unless it happens to be the base price.

It will be really robust and flexible if all of these could be added. :)

Totally agreed

• Management

I like the idea of #1 and will add it for consideration. #2 Maybe later. #3 I like this a well. 

I'll mark this as planned, but I'm mostly considering #1. Please be sure to keep your suggestions isolated or they are very likely to get overlooked. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11. November 2015 at 9:16 PM, chilihead said:

I need to be able to set a percentage not a hard price please.

I need that as well. Percentages could be offered almost everywhere such price calculations are being done. Magento does it this way. For every value there is a second drop-down to make a choice between percentage or fixed price. 

Bildschirmfoto 2016-03-25 um 06.16.30.png

I currently stumbled on this while setting up associated products in Nexus. The customer will get product B 50% off ($50 instead of $100) if he/she already bought product A ($100). 
I can set a fixed price of 50% less for the base price, but since the product has options which can raise the price to well above $10000, a reduction of just $50 instead of 50% makes little sense. 

Archived