Suggestion: Trim extra line breaks at end of posts, now that Enter is needed for embeds, causes unnecessary double space ending

chilihead

Like in 3.4 please trim any extra lines at the end of posts. Not talking about if there there is text after, just the extra lines.

What is happening is, when people hit enter to embed a video or link, and that is the end of their post, it has an extra double space because it is needed for the embed. They should not be expected to use backspace. In 3.4 it trimmed these lines, like below. Thanks!

Just now, chilihead said:

It also affects the stream, I noticed the space with some status updates when people embedded and had to hit enter. Vertical space killer. Hope they reconsider.

They are not "intended" they are residual of the action of embedding.

I know. Embedding requires pressing enter, which means every single post that ends with an embedded video will have a blank paragraph at the end. Which is why I considered it a good idea to remove only single blank lines at the end of posts.

• 1 month later...

Even when they move to not having to press Enter (which will be the new way) a new line is still added to embeds, quotes, etc. so you can start typing. The problem is when this is the last thing in the post, it saves that empty line.

Please trim the lines. WYSIWYG is one thing, but when the editor is adding lines you do not use and saves them, the same system should trim them if unused. They were placed there for text and they are empty.

In fact with post embeds even if you remove the line it saves it. It's really annoying, you have to click edit to remove, it won't save with the extra line removed.

A fix would be, place the cursor to the right of the embed and do not add a new line, like with images. Either that or trim it if empty.

Thanks

Not only are empty lines annoying, they are also unwanted from the poster. When they hit enter, they do that to embed media, not not create a new line. So the most logical behavior would be to only turn a link into an embed when Enter is pressed.

On top of that, it wouldnt be that big of a problem if such behavior created just one empty line. But because some large images take a while to embed (the editor has to download the entire image before it embeds it, so some large gifs could take over 5 seconds to load), users think hitting Enter would help and some posts end up looking like this:

Please just consider this @Lindy It's frustrating how such issues are often ignored simply because they are not applicable to communities like this one and you guys don't experience them.

10 hours ago, Kirill N said:

Not only are empty lines annoying, they are also unwanted from the poster.

Right, preserving WYSIWYG when the editor added extra lines you do not use from embeds etc. is not intended by the user, but by the editor. And I'm just talking about the end of the post. Even the 3.4 editor trimmed anything after the last word/element. As far as in the post, it should preserve it as WYSIWYG, and the member can edit out lines, but end of the post they often don't see.

And when you quote someone is grabs padded white space also, why not just grab the text?

If it could trim the end and remove from quotes posts would look a lot neater.

• 5 weeks later...

Embeds don't require Enter anymore but they add a double space anyway, I assume for convenience so you can type under it w/o hitting enter, but why add this line to embeds (media/post) when you don't for images? I understand the line is so you can type but then can it be trimmed if the last line of a post? This is added by the system not the user, so WYSIWYG does not apply. This is simply a white space issue. Many people like to post YT videos without text as a post or reply. Now there is white space after every post. A simple "trim any extra lines after last line of content" would fix it and make for a much cleaner site. Quotes add it too which makes sense but often times you will end a post with a quote, again, extra double space. Thanks

PS. With YT embeds you can't even backspace the line out, it still posts even if you try to edit it out.

42 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

You already know that (youtube embeds) has been logged as a bug, mate. So, are you saying that this bug isn't fixed on this site (as it now runs 4.1.8)?

When 4.1.8 comes out, I'll go through all the embeds and check exactly which ones still have an issue instead of being general about it.

Yes because this site is 4.1.8 and it's marked fixed (tested in test forum), they removed the space above the embed, not below. When you embed an image this is not an issue the cursor is on the right. Not sure why it can't be this way with all embeds. The user can press enter if a space is desired. This added extra space causes unneeded white space and since they removed the top I am assuming they are leaving the bottom space. With YT it's also impossible to edit out. Quote a video and you also get the space.

Archived