"Star" to indicate if member is logged in anonymously

TSP

After upgrading an active forum we've received numerous complaints about the lack of a "star" * to indicate / confirm for them that they are actually logged in anonymously when they see their name in the recently browsing box etc.

I also think this should be added back, as members now feel constantly unsure whether other see they read the page or not. 

2 minutes ago, TSP said:

After upgrading an active forum we've received numerous complaints about the lack of a "star" * to indicate / confirm for them that they are actually logged in anonymously when they see their name in the recently browsing box etc.

I also think this should be added back, as members now feel constantly unsure whether other see they read the page or not. 

Do you mean that only administrators can see the star?

Otherwise would defeat the purpose of "Anonymous"

Woops. I understand now

Just now, VizionDev said:

Do you mean that only administrators can see the star?

Otherwise would defeat the purpose of "Anonymous"

No... The logged in member is always added to the list when that specific member view the list. (I'm not sure how to best explain this)

Problem is that since they are added to the list (only for themselves and administrators), regardless of their anonymous browsing state, they feel unsure about whether they are hidden for other members or not in this list. 3.4 solved this by showing them the star next to the logged in members name in the list when they viewed themselves logged in as anonymous (It wasn't only for admins)

Just now, TSP said:

Having a plugin is fine and dandy and all, I could probably make it myself, that's not the issue. But I really feel this is a thing that is natural to just have in the core. 

Yes it is a bit strange how there is no indicator depicting anonymity. None the less, this is being worked on now as I wouldn't mind it myself :p 

• 4 months later...

51 minutes ago, Lukasfenn said:

I also notice the lack of the old "star" indicating anonymous members.

My members always ask about it.

Any chance to get it back?

Why would your members ask about it? It's for admins to see, if a member could see it then the other member would not be logged in anonymously. :unsure:

1 minute ago, chilihead said:

Why would your members ask about it? It's for admins to see, if a meber could see it then the other member would not be logged in anonymously. :unsure:

Because members like to have it confirmed that they themselves are actually logged in anonymously when they see themselves listed.

Archived