Defaulting streams to condensed view

eGullet

I think that one thing I can do to ease member acceptance of the new streams functionality is to make them open up in Compact view the first time a member sees them (they can always flip to the mega-view if they want it). Is there a straightforward way of doing this, or is a mod required?

Well, I'm going to answer my own question here. Line 260 of applications/core/modules/front/discover/streams.php begins a set of lines that hard-codes the default to expanded view. The stored cookie does not tell the software which view to use (that is, it doesn't store some equivalent of "expanded" or "condensed") it is just a flag that indicates to the software to use the opposite view. So although it would be simple enough to change the code there to invert the views, if Invision ever decides to un-hard-code this behavior it's going to be a mess to sort out.

I can't think of any viable solution to this problem short of a completely custom system for showing the stream that has its own cookie (or better, stores the preference in the DB so that it applies no matter which browser the person is using). I think this is going to be out of my price range, unfortunately.

I would really like the ability to set a default option of either expanded or condensed. I would prefer to set the default option to be condensed 

would be good if Invision add this ability as an option in the settings

• 2 weeks later...

Archived