We cant search 3 letters/less. REALLY?

sasiko

you cant even search css as an example here on this forum.

Why did you deprave us of sphinx when you didnt offer an alternative to address the search disability you have on this integrate search system here`?

even during beta, we have already complained to you on several occassion for the advantage of sphinx one of them is actually searching 3 letters or less

I have alot of file title that start with 3 letters and less and this isnt acceptable in anyway

4 minutes ago, RADStudios said:

Put a space after it, works fine and it trims the space from the search term anyway.

This has been reported as a bug a couple weeks ago as well :) 

haha, they'll fix the bug and render 3 characters searches impossible again. =P

It's a minor bug that will get patched when they update this site and everyone will have it when they do the next release. If you have to have it now for your site see my fix here:

And yes, three character *and* two character searches (if your DB is configured properly) work just fine.

On 3 November 2015 at 12:35:28 AM, Charles said:

Yes this is a function of MySQL's search. It's all up to how you configure your server.

how can you set it to be able to search two or three letter words on sites cloud hosted with Invision?

I don't think you'll ever get two character searching available on IPS cloud-hosted sites. But, if your IPS hosted site is on 4.0 and the db tables are innodb three character searches should be default.

You'll need to get a response from staff to confirm though.

As to why you would not be able to get two character searches that's because it requires changing a default db configuration and adds addition file size and server load to the server and in a shared hosting environment that impacts everyone.

It's possible down the line that IPS might start spinning out each IPS-hosted site as individual Amazon/whatever hosted process in which case they could probably add an option for stuff like two char searching for an additional fee, etc. but again, that's stuff for IPS to decide/do/etc...

Agree not working on this IPS site. It's quite possible they haven't updated this site. @Lindy

All I can say is I *know* the bug cited above has been patched (looked at the source file myself) and on a stock 4.1.3.1 install I can search three char words just fine.

Capturdde.PNG.db729ff2fe20abdb444c6c2400

For your own site hit the support tool button in the ACP to drop and rebuild all the caches and if it persists afterwards (taking into account all the MySql stop words and so on) submit a support request.

The search really sucks.  I have several topics that contain Catrike in the title and also in the topic text itself.  If I do a search based upon cat, I get no results.  If I do a search based upon cat* I get them.  It looks like the word stemming filters it out, as I can use trike and they turn up.  When I was running Sphinx I didn't have that issue.

On 02/11/2015, 14:35:28, Charles said:

Yes this is a function of MySQL's search. It's all up to how you configure your server.

Just a quick question, does this site have 3 letter search enabled in MySQL?

So far no 3 letter word has came up with a result for me here.

what if there was a system that an administrator could add a library 3 letter words / acronyms , and when posts are made if it contains one of the key words it would auto tag the content or record the post id and perhaps its character position, searches of 3 charters would consult this table?!

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, motomac said:

IPS 4.1.5, Maria DB: 3 letters search doesn't work.

from my support ticket(had the same issue)

Hello,

The issue is the mysql min word length number is cached locally in the data store so although you adjusted the value/switched back from MariaDB, the old value was still being used by IPS4. I have cleared the data store and 3 letter search terms are now showing. I've also set this cached value to be cleared by a search index rebuild which seems logical and should prevent future confusion in future versions.

Thank you for letting us know.

Kind Regards

--
Andrew Millne

I can confirm this is working after clearing the cache, here are the currently needed steps to do this.

• In your my.cnf or your mysql config file, (will vary depending on setup) add/edit the following line
  • ft_min_word_len=3

• Restart mysql
  • Rebuild search index in IPS4
  • Run the first step of the support tool to clean the cached files mentioned above.
  • Success! 

Archived