Activity Steam Opt-out

VizionDev

I'm not sure I understand - everything in the activity stream is public content, and it's all based on permissions too (you can't see what your group doesn't have permission to see etc.). The same content is available just by browsing around the community.

11 minutes ago, Rikki said:

I'm not sure I understand - everything in the activity stream is public content, and it's all based on permissions too (you can't see what your group doesn't have permission to see etc.). The same content is available just by browsing around the community.

I will try to create an analogy here that should clarify

For example, stalkers could find the same content by browsing Facebook, then Facebook introduced "Check in" which I can only imagine vastly increased a stalkers success rate.

Not that stalkers are an issue here (o.O), however it is "same same but different" in the sense that Facebook doesn't force you to check in.

Also this forum has "Ignore Functionality" disabled afaik

Everything in the steam is in the individual apps. The stream is not exposing anything, it's centralizing for the purpose of discovery.

Allowing members to limit the audience of posts, or remove content from the stream, would not be good for your website. Even on FB, you can hide posts from your own timeline, but they still show in the feed. Unless you delete them.

You can follow content anonymously. The only thing I could possibly see is not allowing your likes to show in stream, for those that like a lot. They may feel awkward with them all being listed like that.

I'm using permissions to not show the activity stream to guests and search engines in 4.0.13.1 but only to try and save on resources (shared hosting) as v4 has been killing my server since I upgraded to v4. I have to trade off the additional access to the content and hope guests can find what they want from browsing and search.

I've got daily resource usage down in Cpanel from maxing out at around 500%-600% a day to maxing out at around 120% over last few months as performance has improved in 4.0.x and by optimising my website queries and by blocking bad bots.

After removing permissions for guests and bots to view Activity Stream it maxed at 80% yesterday, 105% today. This is on 4.0.13.1 though and not 4.1.x.

Archived