4.1 was due out early October. What happened?

SJ77

I read about 4.1 coming out early October which obviously didn't happen. I get that it's because it's not ready, still in development etc but what I don't get is why I can't find any revised update or explanation. If due date is missed I want as a customer to have my expectations managed. I want to read "hey early October won't happen due to x reason and here is our revised time table." Don't just miss dates and pretend like we won't notice. Ugh. Unless I'm missing the clear and obvious information update. If so, can someone please link me to the posting so I can read? 

Thank you

11 minutes ago, superj707 said:

I read about 4.1 coming out early October which obviously didn't happen. I get that it's because it's not ready, still in development etc but what I don't get is why I can't find any revised update or explanation. If due date is missed I want as a customer to have my expectations managed. I want to read "hey early October won't happen due to x reason and here is our revised time table." Don't just miss dates and pretend like we won't notice. Ugh. Unless I'm missing the clear and obvious information update. If so, can someone please link me to the posting so I can read? 

Thank you

They wanted to hold off releasing it because things are going really well so decided to release it later. Weird I know.  

I think @craigf136 nailed it - the problem isn't that 4.1 is being pushed back, the problem is that fixes for 4.0.X get stalled out as well in the meantime. Every time there's a point release, I guess we're going to get into a situation where they can't split development resources between finalizing the new version & functionality while simultaneously addressing known issues with the current stable release... :(

11 minutes ago, Rikki said:

We've been working on clearing as many issues as possible before we release; we didn't hide that (see the link above to Charles' post). We're nearly ready, though.

Pretty safe to get a jump start on creating a skin on the latest beta for when I upgrade?

• Management
1 hour ago, superj707 said:

Thank you

You should always check our blog for the latest updates. Everything you are asking about is there. No "ugh" or "pretend we won't notice" is implied. In fact we posted that entry before anyone said a word. Deep, cleansing breaths ;) 

The two-week delay has allowed us to fix literally hundreds more bugs and do a lot of really nice performance improvements. So it's worth it :) 

54 minutes ago, theblackelk said:

Pretty safe to get a jump start on creating a skin on the latest beta for when I upgrade?

There is not a ton to do to upgrade the themes to 4.1. Obviously there are differences that have to be addressed.

2 hours ago, theblackelk said:

I have been without any real issues to express. They have been working rather well between beta stages.

There are issues with 4.0 themes but they can be rectified fairly easy Nothing like 3.0 t.3.1 and up.

4 hours ago, WOFman said:

There is not a ton to do to upgrade the themes to 4.1. Obviously there are differences that have to be addressed.

2 hours ago, Woodsman said:

I have been without any real issues to express. They have been working rather well between beta stages.

There are issues with 4.0 themes but they can be rectified fairly easy Nothing like 3.0 t.3.1 and up.

Thanks, guys.

6 hours ago, Charles said:

You should always check our blog for the latest updates. Everything you are asking about is there. No "ugh" or "pretend we won't notice" is implied. In fact we posted that entry before anyone said a word. Deep, cleansing breaths ;) 

The two-week delay has allowed us to fix literally hundreds more bugs and do a lot of really nice performance improvements. So it's worth it :) 

Thanks Charles. I figured you guys were fixing tons of stuff. I'm glad to hear it. I read the blog and didn't see the answer to what I'm asking, which is why I made this post. I'll look again

I now understand the confusion and will provide feedback to any who care. I use the release notes to read about 4.1 those notes link to a blog entry but there is nothing there about the delay.  I had no idea there were other blog entries about this or that I was even supposed to look. I assumed all information that I need to know would be linked. Broken, disconnected information path left me confused. See screen shot

image.png

5 hours ago, WOFman said:

Majority of template files have been changed.

If your design relies purely on CSS than you're correct, however if you have moved things around - all these changes will have to be redone.

7 hours ago, RADStudios said:

Majority of template files have been changed.

If your design relies purely on CSS than you're correct, however if you have moved things around - all these changes will have to be redone.

The ones I have created rely on css.

13 hours ago, tAPir said:

It doesn't unless you're a theme author that has produced a Halloween theme who suddenly has a load of customers clammering for an update. :)

That's stupid. You can't install an update overnight. You have to do some tests and staging before you upgrade your prod-environment. So I think that if the update will release on 31th october you can't update before 15th november or later ... No need to be in such a hurry. :)

Archived