Post counts messed up on upgrade

Michael R

I upgraded my site a couple of weeks ago. For the most part the upgrade went well. Unfortunately, for some reason member post counts across the board were somehow reduced greatly. Not sure by how much but it looks like around 40%. Aside from restoring my old site, is there any way to boost the post counts of every member by some percentage? Personally, I don't care, but as you can imagine there are some members that this is a big deal.

7 hours ago, chilihead said:

It's content count now not post and it's probably a true count now, and before it was not accounting for deleted content.

<-- Not sure why in 4.1 it still say "posts."

Wouldn't that mean that the "content count" would be more then?

2 minutes ago, Pete T said:

yeah but content is post and other items so articles etc but if unsure submit ticket in client area.

I did. They said there was no way to restore it. I found that hard to believe.

I was hoping someone else had this issue on the upgrade and was able to correct.

1 minute ago, Michael R said:

I did. They said there was no way to restore it.

I was hoping someone else had this issue on the upgrade and was able to correct.

ah i not seen the issue but then again i never really check if the correct data there only item could look at see if post count match the post but i believe could be long job and not sure if that option would help.

1 minute ago, Pete T said:

ah i not seen the issue but then again i never really check if the correct data there only item could look at see if post count match the post but i believe could be long job and not sure if that option would help.

I wonder if it had anything to do with moving from username to display name for the login. But I would assume the user ID would remain the same. Still, I can't believe there isn't a way to do something though SQL.

6 hours ago, Michael R said:

Wouldn't that mean that the "content count" would be more then?

No it could be higher or lower. When you delete a post in 3.4 the count stays the same unless you run the recount task. If you have a very old forum that has deleted or pruned posts, when you convert the count will drop because it will recount it.

I had the same issue and saw the background process during my upgrage that recounts the post and I knew they would be adjusted. I wish they would give you the option to skip that task. You'd be surprised how people are attached to their post counts !

It's odd because if you Like something and delete it the Like still counts as rep. But the post doesn't. That to me is an inconsistency. If you are going to count the Like, count the post. Or offer the option to admins. "Content count based on actual number, or on content made even if it has been removed or hidden" 

If you prune a forum you can really upset people, they see it as removing their number of contributions.

It can also conflict with user promotions.

So members are still grumbling about their post counts. I explained to them that we removed a lot of old posts like Happy Birthday threads from 2007 and when the system recounted the posts almost everyone's post counts went down. Honestly I don't get what the big deal is. Does it matter how many times you post on Facebook?

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a way to remove post counts from displaying all together. And are there any other ways to stroke their egos?

Archived