Did I lose a lot of IP.Content settings with the upgrade?

IndianaJoe

It would be soooooo much better if IPS were upfront about the reality of this upgrade - going from IP.Content to IP.Pages at the moment means losing a ton, and it's borderline deceptive for this not to be explicitly communicated to end users both in an official manner on this site and DURING the actual upgrade...

2 minutes ago, IndianaJoe said:

They have janked up the IP.Content beyond repair.

I don't think it's beyond repair, but I do think it NEEDS repair, and since they have prioritized other pieces, they just need to be (far) more honest about the current state of things, and more communicative about when heavy IP.Content users might be able to upgrade without everything breaking... or at least, with less breaking, and with relative feature parity...

I know they're busy, and I've been impressed by the progress being made, but an official mea culpa and explanation as to this specific topic is long overdue...

I was under the impression that the only thing you needed to redo as far as IP.Content goes in ips4 is to rebuild your blocks and your templates. Obviously for heavy ip.content users redoing all our templates is a massive task, it's still doable though. Is there anything else missing?

14 minutes ago, IndianaJoe said:

They messed it up enough that I won't trust going to 4.X again any time soon. I am curious as what they expected users to do with all of their relational database fields? 

Exactly. They expected them to waste their time with an upgrade only to find that it didn't work, which is worth complaining about and criticizing them for - it's fine to defer the restoration of the functionality because of competing priorities, but it's NOT fine to have a cavalier attitude about informing customers of the lack of feature parity and the basic inability to upgrade if you're using IP.Content for anything but the most rudimentary of purposes.

Assuming they do EVENTUALLY fix these issues, this is really a communications problem...

Here's how the conversation SHOULD have gone:

• A: "It looks like we'll have to defer implementing some of the IP.Content functionality (relational fields, block filtering) for IP.Pages for version 4.0.X and possibly further"
  • B: "Damn, that sucks... but we DO have to prioritize things. Let's just make sure we let users KNOW this is the case, and that upgrades will break things without any means of even restoring them, so no one gets frustrated and wastes their time!"
  • A: "Good thinking, that seems like the responsible thing to do!"
  • A & B high five
  • The End

Here's how the conversation ACTUALLY seems to have gone:

• A: "It looks like we'll have to defer implementing some of the IP.Content functionality (relational fields, block filtering) for IP.Pages for version 4.0.X and possibly further"
  • B: "Damn, that sucks... "
  • The End

With an entire new code structure they have been upfront early and often about Pages templates not making it over. The lack of relational fields has been discussed on these forums since the Alpha days (over a year ago) *but* those are back with 4.1 (see the Release Notes under the Resources tab up top).

If you haven't been following the forums I agree, you probably are getting tripped up. There does not exist a page - here on the forums or on the main Invision site - that clearly state big missing features between 3x and 4x. The argument then becomes what constitutes "big" and "missing" and so on but yeah, for Pages/Content these should be flagged better.

Outside of that Pages is vastly better than before - stick with it and wait for 4.1 to see how the relationals work out.  

16 minutes ago, Jirinex said:

I was under the impression that the only thing you needed to redo as far as IP.Content goes in ips4 is to rebuild your blocks and your templates. Obviously for heavy ip.content users redoing all our templates is a massive task, it's still doable though. Is there anything else missing?

The 3 major headaches

1. No relational fields, basically makes my site work

2. Database templates are worthless, I spent countless hours tweaking them to get them right...now they are gone.

3. Checkbox selections, some of them have disappeared also, now I need to update 200+ records...YIPPPEEE

That is what I have found with only a few hours of real tinkering with the 4.X version.

1 minute ago, Flitterkill said:

With an entire new code structure they have been upfront early and often about Pages templates not making it over. The lack of relational fields has been discussed on these forums since the Alpha days (over a year ago) *but* those are back with 4.1 (see the Release Notes under the Resources tab up top).

If you haven't been following the forums I agree, you probably are getting tripped up. There does not exist a page - here on the forums or on the main Invision site - that clearly state big missing features between 3x and 4x. The argument then becomes what constitutes "big" and "missing" and so on but yeah, for Pages/Content these should be flagged better.

Outside of that Pages is vastly better than before - stick with it and wait for 4.1 to see how the relationals work out.  

So my site will be pretty much worthless until the final 4.1 gets released? Come on now, let's be serious.

4.1 is released in what? A week? Two?

Revert back to 3x (provided you had full backups...) and then create a local development site for 4.1. Copy your site data and db and import it to the dev build and get cracking. With 4.1 templates and blocks can be moved between installations so all your work on the development site can go live once you do the upgrade to 4.1 on your live site.

1 minute ago, Flitterkill said:

4.1 is released in what? A week? Two?

Revert back to 3x (provided you had full backups...) and then create a local development site for 4.1. Copy your site data and db and import it to the dev build and get cracking. With 4.1 templates and blocks can be moved between installations so all your work on the development site can go live once you do the upgrade to 4.1 on your live site.

Two weeks is too late, my site and my personal time starts to ramp up at the end of this month. Last year I spent from May through August working on the templates and everyone on my site. I can't do what took me months in a matter of a week. I didn't expect my website to be absolutely crippled by an upgrade.

Archived