Save Article as Draft

Michael R

I've been taking advantage of Articles quite a bit now that I have moved to 4.0. When writing articles, I find it easier to write the article first then later add images and do formatting later. Normally one would put the article in Draft during that time. I suppose I can publish the article and hide it but wouldn't it be easier to have a Draft status? That way others editors can view and make changes? I suppose Hidden would work. But to me hidden is more of an "unpublished" status.

How do others do this?

Just now, Michael R said:

I've been taking advantage of Articles quite a bit now that I have moved to 4.0. When writing articles, I find it easier to write the article first then later add images and do formatting later. Normally one would put the article in Draft during that time. I suppose I can publish the article and hide it but wouldn't it be easier to have a Draft status? That way others editors can view and make changes? I suppose Hidden would work. But to me hidden is more of an "unpublished" status.

How do others do this?

i write it up in notepad and then in the editor when its near ready. But i would like some sort of draft feature too.

6 hours ago, Michael R said:

I don't think that allows you to queue up articles to be published at a future date though does it?

No but if you hide them then you can change the publish date to when you actually want it available. Not ideal but for now..

22 hours ago, Michael R said:

How do others do this?

this can be useful in one of my sites i use articles alot and i spent hours writing depends on the article size 

one thing i wish was shipped with articles the autosave function 

after many hours of writing if you press by mistake any back buttons or in mac with your track-pack can result to refreshing the page and the body fields been fully erased unless you saved it since the local-storage do not work for saved articles when you edit them 

On 4. Oktober 2015 um 05:35:03, Michael R said:

I suppose I can publish the article and hide it but wouldn't it be easier to have a Draft status?

Save it without publishing it in the first place and you have a “draft status”. I’ve never done anything else, both in 3.4 as well as in 4.0.

6 hours ago, opentype said:

Save it without publishing it in the first place and you have a “draft status”. I’ve never done anything else, both in 3.4 as well as in 4.0.

How do I save without publishing? I am using 4.0. When I click on Save it appears. I don't see any other options.

• 3 weeks later...

Well THIS is interesting...

Taking the advice of folks above, I saved the article to "Hide". But then I noticed a bunch of folks on my site commenting on a reply in my forums. I have the option set to publish to a forum. Ummm, call me crazy but what's the point? Now I have a link in the forums to a hidden article? Jeez!

1 hour ago, chilihead said:

If you use a future publish date it won't post the topic until it is published. Save as draft would certainly be nice but in the meantime I suggest a future publish date.

Where is that? I don't see that under database field options.

8 hours ago, chilihead said:

Found it. It's in each database's settings:

Database >> Manage Fields

Publish Fields
DISABLED
Publish Date
DISABLED <------------

Expiry Date
DISABLED
Allow Comments/Reviews
DISABLED
Comment Cut Off Date
DISABLED
Record Image
DISABLED

Ahh, okay. In case anyone else was as dim as me... After you ENABLE it, make sure you set YOUR permissions to SEE it... haha

On 22.10.2015, 12.38.57, Michael R said:

Ahh, okay. In case anyone else was as dim as me... After you ENABLE it, make sure you set YOUR permissions to SEE it... haha

Humm.. Did you manage to get this to work with regular users - not admins? I'm kind of lost looking for the setting so that any users making articles - could hide it until they finally post... I have the permissions and publish settings right as far as I can see..

Archived