"Upload a new version" of theme not updating

Pseudonym

I'm not sure whether this should be a bug report, or whether it's something I'm doing wrong (but I don't THINK I'm doing anything wrong...!)

I've been developing my theme on my local computer, and am now uploading it to a development server to test it further. But the new version I upload doesn't seem to go live. It's like it's not refreshing a cache until I prompt it to.

Here's what I did...

1) Turned off Developer Mode on my local server, and syncronised the changes so the latest files were pulled into the database.

2) Exported my local theme by downloading it as an XML file.

3) Uploaded the theme to my development server using the "Upload new version" option.

This, theoretically, should update my theme. But it doesn't. Template bits don't seem to be showing the new code, CSS is missing, and resource images aren't loading.

4) I look at one image that hasn't loaded, and see it's trying to load an image stored in /uploads/set_resources_6 - this presumably is a system generated directory. I log on via FTP and check out that directory, and there's only two files in it. I fiddle around a bit more, put my dev server in Developer Mode (this makes things look even worse, so I turn it off without syncing the files). I check out the Resources page - the files I want are there, and looking good. I go back to my FTP and refresh... suddenly a dozen more files have appeared! I go back to the front end, refresh the page, and lo! My image has appeared. Something I did must have triggered the update.

5) The new CSS for one of my custom modules still isn't loading, so I go into the "Edit HTML and CSS" option. I open up the CSS file - it all looks fine. I make no changes, but just save it as it is. Then I go back to the front end, and refresh... and my CSS is now loading.

6) I imagine if I repeat the process with all my HTML template bits, this would also force an update, but that's going be a pain.

Surely there's something not right here? Is it IPB, or is it me?

I'm using 4.0.13.1 on both my local machine and the dev server.

1 hour ago, Pseudonym said:

I'm not sure whether this should be a bug report, or whether it's something I'm doing wrong (but I don't THINK I'm doing anything wrong...!)

I've been developing my theme on my local computer, and am now uploading it to a development server to test it further. But the new version I upload doesn't seem to go live. It's like it's not refreshing a cache until I prompt it to.

Here's what I did...

1) Turned off Developer Mode on my local server, and syncronised the changes so the latest files were pulled into the database.

2) Exported my local theme by downloading it as an XML file.

3) Uploaded the theme to my development server using the "Upload new version" option.

This, theoretically, should update my theme. But it doesn't. Template bits don't seem to be showing the new code, CSS is missing, and resource images aren't loading.

4) I look at one image that hasn't loaded, and see it's trying to load an image stored in /uploads/set_resources_6 - this presumably is a system generated directory. I log on via FTP and check out that directory, and there's only two files in it. I fiddle around a bit more, put my dev server in Developer Mode (this makes things look even worse, so I turn it off without syncing the files). I check out the Resources page - the files I want are there, and looking good. I go back to my FTP and refresh... suddenly a dozen more files have appeared! I go back to the front end, refresh the page, and lo! My image has appeared. Something I did must have triggered the update.

5) The new CSS for one of my custom modules still isn't loading, so I go into the "Edit HTML and CSS" option. I open up the CSS file - it all looks fine. I make no changes, but just save it as it is. Then I go back to the front end, and refresh... and my CSS is now loading.

6) I imagine if I repeat the process with all my HTML template bits, this would also force an update, but that's going be a pain.

Surely there's something not right here? Is it IPB, or is it me?

I'm using 4.0.13.1 on both my local machine and the dev server.

Sounds similar to this bug but supposed to have been fixed in 4.0.9 and another bug here but that was closed

2 hours ago, pmflav said:

Try go to the support page in IPS, and clear the cache.

Solved! Thanks a heap! :D

1 hour ago, steve00 said:

Sounds similar to this bug but supposed to have been fixed in 4.0.9 and another bug here but that was closed

Yeah, and since clearing the cache fixed the problem, it seems like maybe this is a bug too, right? I'll put it in the Bug Tracker.

Cheers guys!

Archived