Touch/Swipe improvements for IPS Products

The Old Man

I'd like to see better support for touch screen on IPS products now that touch enabled devices are so abundant. I think there's a number of places in IPS products where touch could improve functionality in a natural way.

For example, anywhere there is more than 1 page of content, such as when viewing a forum view of topics, or multiple pages within a topic, you should be able to naturally swipe quickly left or right between the pages if you are using a touch enabled device like a tablet, phone or touch-enabled PC monitor or laptop.

The carousels that show Gallery images, or Downloads or Featued Calendar events etc could all receive improved swipe support too where currently you have click on the small scroll left and right buttons, which is somewhat counter-intuitive on touch-enabled mobile devices.

Please task a developer to look at better touch support & integration soon!

I may be wrong. However, I believe gestures such as swipe cannot be modified or altered to work a certain way on a website. The gestures will be defined by the web browser application used on the mobile device. So for example, Safari on iPhone will have set gestures you can use to interact with web pages, which will work the same on every website. By nature, these gestures will be very limited in functionality so that the user will have the same experience with which ever website they visit. Websites themselves cannot alter the way gestures will work (from a coding standpoint).

So to implement something like:

1 hour ago, The Old Man said:

anywhere there is more than 1 page of content, such as when viewing a forum view of topics, or multiple pages within a topic, you should be able to naturally swipe quickly left or right between the pages

I don't know how you could tell the web app that "if a user swipes here, show next page".

This is why most major websites encourage you to go and download their apps instead of using the built in browser, where they can then have full control over the UI.

As far as websites go on mobile devices, I think IPS has done a damn good job considering how limiting web browsers on these devises can be.

Archived