IP.Pages: Move a record from one database to another?

Joel R

Hi, this is a fairly simple question: how do I move a record from one database to another database?

For example, I have records A1, A2, A3 in database AA.  I would like to move those records to database BB.  

It seems like I can only move records to another category, but not to another database.

I'm fairly sure I read several months ago an explanation to somebody else's similar request that moving records between databases wasn't possible and shouldn't be anyway because a record from AA contains field information that won't work in BB. I'm in a situation quite similar to yours, by the way, and intend to manually change things via phpMyAdmin if I ever resolve this little problem:

8 hours ago, Meddysong said:

I'm fairly sure I read several months ago an explanation to somebody else's similar request that moving records between databases wasn't possible and shouldn't be anyway because a record from AA contains field information that won't work in BB. I'm in a situation quite similar to yours, by the way, and intend to manually change things via phpMyAdmin if I ever resolve this little problem:

That makes a lot of sense.

While at work today, I brainstormed that I might be able to copy / reproduce the database in full (maybe?) and then delete away the records that I don't want.  I'll have to try it tonight.

5 hours ago, Joel R said:

While at work today, I brainstormed that I might be able to copy / reproduce the database in full (maybe?) and then delete away the records that I don't want.  I'll have to try it tonight.

That seems sensible. The only drawback (if you're aiming to do it via the ACP rather than going into the MySQL tables) might be that exporting a database and then importing it again as a new one doesn't bring the records with it. But if you don't have too many of them you could always import the database structure and then add new records one by one.

As they pushed all our articles into a single database, this will cause major problem for us.
We need to break out hundreds of records to different databases to be able to control how each category is displayed, because a database can only be linked in a single Page.

The new structure, without the ability to copy a current database is insane, or even bulk edit (delete) records.
So even this solution, of dumping the database, edit the unique fields and importing it, will be a ton of work.

Archived