4.1 Status Updates Page - no way to post status updates anymore?

Ryan Thomas

Hey guys,

Currently my site uses the Status Updates page on 4.0 as the homepage.  My users can post brand new status updates right from the status updates page.

In IP 4.1, I noticed that there is no way to post NEW status updates to the status updates page here: https://community.invisionpower.com/discover/4/

It appears you can only reply to status updates.  I really hope this is not the case because this is an extremely important feature for my community: to be able to post brand new status updates straight to the status updates page.

Maybe I am just missing something but did you guys remove this feature in 4.1?  Please say it ain't so because without it, my community will be verrrrry unhappy people!

2 hours ago, Joel R said:

That's an Activity Stream, which has never allowed you to directly post into the stream.  

With that said, you can use the +Create button at the very top of every page.

3.4 had a Status Updates "stream"... and there's a default stream here called Status Updates, hence the confusion. You can see how one would expect it.

Not sure how 4.0 works as not on it. But 3.4 has it:

ips_3.4_statuses.thumb.png.0ae3b9da7edd9

Also "Create" is not on mobile.

It'd be relatively easy to mimic it if you wanted to. You could add the 'recent status updates' widget to the header of the streams page, and edit the template of that widget so it doesn't show the status updates. That would just leave you with the form for posting a new status. 

You can't do it per-stream - from the backend, widgets work per-page, so it'd be on all stream pages. You could probably add some logic in the widget template to hide it if it wasn't on the actual Statuses stream though.

Editing the template would affect all instances of the status widget, but again, with some logic in the template you could split it out and do something different specifically for that one.

3 minutes ago, Rikki said:

You can't do it per-stream - from the backend, widgets work per-page, so it'd be on all stream pages. You could probably add some logic in the widget template to hide it if it wasn't on the actual Statuses stream though.

Editing the template would affect all instances of the status widget, but again, with some logic in the template you could split it out and do something different specifically for that one.

@Rikki i have a question will 4.1 stable need much time as 4 or less ?

2 minutes ago, Rikki said:

Much less, the changes in 4.1 are localized to particular areas of the software. 4.0 was an entirely new product.

Thank you good to know.I like the 4.1 much and looking to move to it the notification sound is just great i must say ips is very professional and modern.

4 hours ago, Rikki said:

It'd be relatively easy to mimic it if you wanted to. You could add the 'recent status updates' widget to the header of the streams page, and edit the template of that widget so it doesn't show the status updates. That would just leave you with the form for posting a new status. 

Okay, thanks for the suggestion @Rikki  Is this widget new in 4.1?  Because I don't remember there being a way to do this in 4.0...

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/7/2016 at 7:25 PM, Michael Krewson said:

Is it just me or is this question still valid? I still see no way to for members to post status updates.

I'm having the same issue not finding this setting to enable status updates. I think this should be a default setting enabled for all users, I'm getting little frustrated.

Archived