Is it possible to hide reported content immediately

kar3n2

Hi

I wonder if its possible to hide any reported content from the board as soon as somebody reports the content. This would be a great help as it could be several hours ( I think I do sleep sometimes ha ha ) before I login and if there has been a unsavoury post image or video added then the first online user to see this could report it so it is immediately hidden and sent for moderation.

Thanks if you can help

ps ( used IPS search today but its broken so thought Id just add new topic.. sorry if duplicated)

In theory its OK although it could be abused by a peeved member. There would have to be some kind of flood control for it, only allow them to report x items per day/hour or suchlike.

I do not think content that should be reported would then sit there on view for long if they had used up all their reporting slots as other members would no doubt also report it.

A slightly better (and maybe more complicated idea!) would be to only hide it if it received x reports, say 2 or 3.

Just now, jackflash said:

I've always like this idea.   In this fashion, the content is hidden, but not deleted until an admin reviews it.

its great idea yes... because if you're not there you dont want 100 or more members seeing trash, whereas even if the first memebr sees it they feel more secure ( and helpful in the community too) knowing that they have the ability to hide it FAST

4 minutes ago, AndyF said:

Not without some kind of addon. It does not sound that difficult to do I guess though as the report function would just have to call the 'unapprove' routine for that 'item'

I think I know the very person who can make one then  ...  ill PM him thanks

2 minutes ago, AndyF said:

In theory its OK although it could be abused by a peeved member. There would have to be some kind of flood control for it, only allow them to report x items per day/hour or suchlike.

I do not think content that should be reported would then sit there on view for long if they had used up all their reporting slots as other members would no doubt also report it.

A slightly better (and maybe more complicated idea!) would be to only hide it if it received x reports, say 2 or 3.

the peeved member..  hmm yes I get that... he/she could go round my board in the middle of the night and report every single post no doubt ( sad arent they? )so flood control of some sort would be great idea yes....... hmmm  

I do prefer the INSTANT hiding though ... 

I never thought about this too... can we see who reported the content? So I can either support or warn the little vigilante.. 

1 minute ago, kar3n2 said:

the peeved member..  hmm yes I get that... he/she could go round my board in the middle of the night and report every single post no doubt ( sad arent they? )so flood control of some sort would be great idea yes....... hmmm  

I do prefer the INSTANT hiding though ... 

I never thought about this too... can we see who reported the content? So I can either support or warn the little vigilante.. 

The Report Centre will contain details of the report yes, including the reporter. :) I'd just ensure if you have an addon made that it still goes ahead with the report centre part.

Just now, AndyF said:

The Report Centre will contain details of the report yes, including the reporter. :)

brill... thats one less thing to think about ... 

as I mentioned ( re reporter) support him or warn him...   some people will report a post for just a swear word being used which is a bit over the top duh .. but then there might be another user who is a great asset to the community and vigilante in the right manner ( maybe he/she would like to be a moderatro status then, who knows?) 

You can use the Rules application to do this - create a rule that runs when "any content has been reported" and the action to perform would be to "hide content" and the defaults pretty much cover the rest, apart from the "Member Responsible for Hiding Content" as you might want to set that to an account name that has permissions to hide.

1 minute ago, Nathan Explosion said:

You can use the Rules application to do this - create a rule that runs when "any content has been reported" and the action to perform would be to "hide content" and the defaults pretty much cover the rest, apart from the "Member Responsible for Hiding Content" as you might want to set that to an account name that has permissions to hide.

oh I've bought the rules app I just didnt know how to work it   ( oops) ... maybe I should take another look at it inside my ACP see if I can get it to work for this

I would reconsider doing this regardless, it would be an extremely abusable feature. A troll can register multiple accounts on your board and go around reporting posts at random, and there's really no way you can prevent this from happening.

If you do want to implement a form of community moderation like this, it should be restricted to active and trusted members, not just anyone that registers an account.

6 minutes ago, Makoto said:

I would reconsider doing this regardless, it would be an extremely abusable feature. A troll can register multiple accounts on your board and go around reporting posts at random, and there's really no way you can prevent this from happening.

If you do want to implement a form of community moderation like this, it should be restricted to active and trusted members, not just anyone that registers an account.

I agree.   I'm gonna really have to think this through properly for sure      thanks

Ive mailed the plugin author about the problem and asking him to make the flood control also so any one member can only report X posts in Xhours  ( maybe 3 per 12 hrs something like that).

I'm hoping that my other controls on site would prevent the trolls coming?  spam control, known email addresses, etc and I think maybe as its UK site only I can assume that once ive gone to bed there might bevery  few registrations during the night time. So maybe I can set it that all new registrations are subject to moderation just during then night so I can sleep well.   Im thinking it out for sure now.

As I build trusted moderators they can also control the trolls too hopefully.

I just think its so nice to allow the whole community to play an active part in making the place safe. I think they feel valued if they do so.  Shame there is trolls but ... its best to try beat them at thier own game somehow than let them dictate how i run my site surely? Hopefully time doesnt prove me wrong though :sad:

42 minutes ago, The Jimmo said:

My suggestion would be to "hire" more moderators rather than hiding content. The abuse of this even with flood control could be great and far outweigh the benefits.

Im struggling with it because my site is about making and meeting friends who love the outdoors. I just think that somehow it should only attract nice people ( maybe some think I'm just a dreamer head in clouds sort of person).  I know employing moderators is a good way to go but until site earns a good revenue then all of this would eat any of my savings before I've even got going. I wouldnt expect them to come cheap by any means, I know always to pay correctly as things deserve.  So you dont think with all the controls in place I would be able to avoid these darn trolls? 

Moderators for community forums are often just volunteers. They are usually the most active, trusted and respected members in the community.

I use the reputation system as a system of "community moderation" in a sense. Posts that receive XX negative reputation are "hidden" from view (in the same manner that posts from users you have ignored are hidden).

ok thanks tons to you all..  got to get my thinking cap on. I'll look at the reputation system as well now. Only have that set for positive like this.

And maybe as site grows some kindly folks will volunteer to moderate.   Not many trolls in iPS though is there? I don't think Ive seen any anyhow so perhaps they have 1000s of moderators?

It depends largely on the nature of the community and how you attract your audience. Some communities get away with little "troll" activity. Some niches tend to attract more problem members than others.

You probably won't have much to worry about. It's something you can deal with if and when it becomes a problem, not really something you need to preemptively obsess over.

12 minutes ago, Makoto said:

It depends largely on the nature of the community and how you attract your audience. Some communities get away with little "troll" activity. Some niches tend to attract more problem members than others.

You probably won't have much to worry about. It's something you can deal with if and when it becomes a problem, not really something you need to preemptively obsess over.

that makes me feel a lot better thanks ...I was getting paranoid for a moment there but I should now  sleep ok tonight  lol :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Makoto said:

This is what I was referencing - a moderator only function.

Archived