Topic Password Protection

• 8 months later...
51 minutes ago, GrooveOnBeat said:

This app works on browsers.

However, when users use an app such as Tapatalk they can see and reply to password protected threads without entering a password.

Tapatalk is an independent app and has nothing to do with the hook system, so it won't work there. 

Edited by Adriano Faria
  • 8 months later...

Hello,

I've been using this app for nearly six months now, and it's always been working fine on my board except for a couple events: a (very) few users have been reporting at different times that they were somehow temporarily able to access (and read) distinct password protected topics as if they weren't protected at all (no password was asked to them). Of course as we promptly checked none of those password had been changed at the times of the incidents.  

I'd be really grateful if you could investigate on this.

Edited by Shiyo
1 minute ago, Shiyo said:

except for a couple events: a (very) few users have been reporting at different times that they were somehow temporarily able to access (and read) distinct password protected topics as if they weren't protected at all (no password was asked to them).

It uses cookies. There's a setting for this. If they are accessing the topic withing the allowed time, no password will be required.

13 hours ago, Adriano Faria said:

It uses cookies. There's a setting for this. If they are accessing the topic withing the allowed time, no password will be required.

Yes, I'm aware of that. Problem is: how did they get the cookies in the first place if they never ever provided any password? 

Believe me, I can totally understand your difficulties in answering this.

They were in no secondary group (just normal users), and including administrators no group on our board is allowed to bypass topic protections. Also, the issue seems to disappear right after a simple page refresh. 

Last user to report the issue stated that he managed to enter the protected topic by clicking on the last post's date from the index page. Unfortunately that's all the details I can provide.  

Edited by Shiyo
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2018 at 5:26 AM, liquidfractal said:

Is there a way to force them to sign in before they can view password-protected topics?

What's New in Version 2.1.1:

• Added new setting to force guests to login before enter the topic password

aLZSigI.png

Made it as a setting because it already checks the permission. So if the guest can view the topic, it's enough to enter the password.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I'm using the most recent version (2.1.1) and when I create a password-protected topic which a guest tries to access (on a different IP), I get a "Sorry, we couldn't process your request" EX0 error with the following in the System Log:

OutOfRangeException:  (0)
#0 /XXX/public_html/init.php(460) : eval()'d code(14): IPS\_Content::loadAndCheckPerms('374')
#1 /XXX/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Controller.php(96): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\hook1743->manage()
#2 /XXX/public_html/system/Content/Controller.php(50): IPS\Dispatcher\_Controller->execute()
#3 /XXX/public_html/applications/forums/modules/front/forums/topic.php(39): IPS\Content\_Controller->execute()
#4 /XXX/public_html/system/Dispatcher/Dispatcher.php(146): IPS\forums\modules\front\forums\_topic->execute()
#5 /XXX/public_html/index.php(13): IPS\_Dispatcher->run()
#6 {main}

This also happens when I log into a test account and try to access the same topic.  In fact, now I'm getting a lot of these errors for various pages, 99% of them existing before I installed the Password Protected Topic plugin. 

And when I disable the PPT plugin, the topic is still there but I get an entirely different error when I try to access it (2s136V, no permission).

I'm sure the error codes don't help (Invision once said that even they don't have an in-house manual for them!), but thought I'd include them anyway.

20 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

which a guest tries to access

Are you using or not the settting you requested to force guests to login?

Need to know the settings you're using to try to reproduce.

Do guests has permission to view topics? It seems they don't but it shouldn't show an error like that.

Sent you a PM with a try/catch in the topic.

The second error seems not to be related to the PPT plugin because it is disabled.

Edited by Adriano Faria
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm able to upgrade from 2.1.2 to 2.1.3 without issues:

Nothing was done beyond add a few characters in the settings form to allow Clubs in the Forums field.

13 hours ago, kmk said:

I turn it as enable, but still appear the Notification message "Update Available!"

I'm not sure what you mean with this. This plugin doesn't has the update check feature.

If it insists, then you will have to uninstall and re-install the plugin.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...