CKEDITOR help

J33f

So, I'm fairly new to IPB 4 and I've been slowly building my forum up with the help of my members to get exactly what they want and now I want to add a few novelty features, because we are primarily a writing forum. 

I've been reading up on the Doing-Away with BBCode, which really makes me sad because the concept was stupid-simple. Now there's this CKEditor and I feel not only totally lost, but somewhat baffled by the technicalities that it requires, so I'm asking for some guidance, explanations, and help here. I've been trying to go through the documentation, but the hitch that comes up is when it says to make an HTML page to call the script... but I'm not sure what the page is to be named, or even what that's supposed to do? Will it add the RTF features to the post box when creating new or editing posts?

Where I'm at right now:

- I've downloaded CKEDITOR and installed it to my root directory. I've visited the /sample/index.html and seen that it works, but I don't have the foggiest idea what to do from here.

How do I get it to reveal itself in forum posts? Or is that not even an option...

Is it a stand-alone piggybacking onto IPB 4? Is that why I can download plugins to it?

If yes, I imagine I need to change the code with each download of a new plug-in add-on, yes?

... </facepalm.gif>

I feel like a total moron suddenly. I never looked into customize before today because I've been working on hooks and forum stuff to notice that there's a CKeditor there and I thought that I added that today when I downloaded it independently...

Superderp.

So then I'd just download the plugins and install them from there, I'm guessing... lol.

Gah... thanks @Joel R

1 hour ago, J33f said:

... </facepalm.gif>

I feel like a total moron suddenly. I never looked into customize before today because I've been working on hooks and forum stuff to notice that there's a CKeditor there and I thought that I added that today when I downloaded it independently...

Superderp.

So then I'd just download the plugins and install them from there, I'm guessing... lol.

Gah... thanks @Joel R

If its your first time with the software (or even your first time with v4), one thing that helped me is to go through every single.option in the ACP at least one time.  

What I did was write down on a notebook options what I wanted to further explore, to immediately change, or didn't understand.  But that gave me at least a broad overview of everything in the ACP.  

Let us know if you have any additional questions.  Many people have installed CKEditor plugins which is super easy via the ACP

5 minutes ago, EvilDragon said:

One question from me:
How do you uninstall a CKEditor plugin?

Some seem to break my installation and the only way to get it back to working condition seems to be to reset it to default and completely re-setup it again...

That might be a bug.  I definitely encourage you to document the steps with screenshots and submit a bug report.  

Archived