Banned Members

SmackDaddy70

Since the banned group has been done away with -- how can we modify banned member permissions where we may allow them to see one forum section but want to prohibit them from being able to use the "Contact Form" and spam us or access other functions on the site?  I can't see where we can modify "banned" member permissions at all........thank you in advance.

We have quite a few people who are banned (30+ pages) -- not sure how to do that without manually editing each banned member to add them to the group -- definitely not liking this change for banned people......we should have been given the option to leave them in a "banned group".  Someone from IPB want to tell me how to do this the most efficient way?!?!  

They (IPB folks) did my conversion from 3.4.7 to 4.0.13.1 a week and a half ago -- conversion, not new install, and they told me the "banned group" was no longer a thing.  They are "flagged" as banned and will still show as the primary group they were last a part of (for us, "Registered Users") -- and I don't like that one bit.  >.>

What's the point of "banned" now?!?  I cannot modify their permissions and permissions are set by groups.....this is asinine and creating a logistical nightmare where we still have to make our own "banned" group to prevent those people already banned (600+) from being able to access areas of the site they are not blocked from....and have to go one by one to add them to this new group..... *sigh*

11 minutes ago, PCtoolbin said:

What's the point of "banned" now?!?  I cannot modify their permissions and permissions are set by groups.....this is asinine and creating a logistical nightmare where we still have to make our own "banned" group to prevent those people already banned (600+) from being able to access areas of the site they are not blocked from....and have to go one by one to add them to this new group..... *sigh*

So, they're not really banned then?

The banned group was "removed" per-se back in 3.3 iirc, at that point banning was moved to a flag on the members table (just like it is in IPS4)

I had a banned group in version 3.4.7 (which we had just two weeks ago) -- and we could prevent them from seeing parts of the site that we still wanted guests to see.  NOW.....according to support (I put in a trouble ticket) -- their solution for me was to keep guests from seeing anything I didn't want banned people to see.  What is the point of "banned" then now?  It's useless and pointless.  *smdh*  I *want* guests to be able to use our "Contact Us" form -- but not banned people.  This is a completely useless and silly change @Invision

On 19.9.2015,, PCtoolbin said:

We have quite a few people who are banned (30+ pages) -- not sure how to do that without manually editing each banned member to add them to the group -- definitely not liking this change for banned people......we should have been given the option to leave them in a "banned group".  Someone from IPB want to tell me how to do this the most efficient way?!?!  

How about using the group filter on the Members search page? You will maybe find the old banned group name there and use the search result to move them to another group.

4 hours ago, PCtoolbin said:

I had a banned group in version 3.4.7 (which we had just two weeks ago) -- and we could prevent them from seeing parts of the site that we still wanted guests to see.  NOW.....according to support (I put in a trouble ticket) -- their solution for me was to keep guests from seeing anything I didn't want banned people to see.  What is the point of "banned" then now?  It's useless and pointless.  *smdh*  I *want* guests to be able to use our "Contact Us" form -- but not banned people.  This is a completely useless and silly change @Invision

You know banned members could just logout and then use the contact form as guests.

Archived