Activity Stream need to show content counts...

Ocean West

• Management

Does knowing if a content item is locked, has X number of replies, or Y number of views impact if you will read that item? I cannot say I ever paid any attention to that. I just looked at title.

Would you want your users to not read items based on that data or is the goal of the system to encourage users to discover and therefore read more content? Is it not the goal of the system to actually encourage you to read and interact with all content regardless of it is popular or not at that moment in time?

I understand what you are saying but the point of the Activity Streams is content discovery. We are trying to encourage people to read all content and engage the community across all areas. If you want to know popular now, pinned status, locked status, number of replies, views, and all that other extra data then that is what browsing an area is for.

Activity Streams are designed to encourage discovery of content. It's their focus and our goal. I personally have found I am way more engaged in what is going on here because I have some custom streams setup that show me very quickly items I am interested in. It's really great and, for the record, I used to be a 100% View New Content browser.

Yes. It's different. But it's also clearly focused: content discovery. Having a focus is a good thing and it's a focus that will benefit every community.

Yes, it is. We do pay attention. Why would I go to a topic if in the middle of "discussion" some moderator just locked it? What's the purpose in "discover" that it is locked and waste my time?

Those information is important. It can't be to you. For others, it is. You changed the style, ok... Some like, some hate, life goes on. But it doesn't has the same level of information it has before because things were removed.

• Management

Well our metrics show that locked topics are some of the most read. People love them some drama :) so it's clearly not an indicator that stops people reading. 

Like I said: our goal here is to encourage discovery of content. All content. And to give the users tools to further that discovery. It's something that benefits every client we have and we think it is incredibly important. We have heard from clients ranging from hobby sites to huge corporate clients who are dying for 4.1. It's going to be great!

19 minutes ago, Charles said:

No need to get worked up :)

You can create an Activity Stream with lots or filter options based on if you posted in or started a content item. 

That's a nice idea but before we had My Conent and we could also filter VNC with one click to the left to view ours, and we could also see our own by the star in the unfiltered VNC.

Now we are limited to a totally new stream, as if only My Activity exists to view it, which I never used because it was another "stream" and easily configurable/viewable from VNC.

Noting participation can be as easy as doubling that circle around the icon, as someone pointed out. The less streams we have to use the better, especially if it means a simple icon or editing an icon can clear it up.

I will use multiple streams but for something this simple it should be in the main ones.

Put a check mark on the icon.

Or put a star shaped border.

Would be nice to have filters maybe on the top for participation, days, etc. like the VNC so we don't have to create new streams just for that stuff. I know it is all in the stream now but that mean 20 streams for all these variables. Filters are still a good idea imo. 

32 minutes ago, Charles said:

We have heard from clients ranging from hobby sites to huge corporate clients who are dying for 4.1. It's going to be great!

I am not disputing that, I am looking forward to it as well. Some of this is adaptation and knee-jerk, but other feedback is based on our own sites and usage.

I still like it better than 4.0 even though I have suggestions.

31 minutes ago, Charles said:

Well our metrics show that locked topics are some of the most read. People love them some drama :) so it's clearly not an indicator that stops people reading. 

Like I said: our goal here is to encourage discovery of content. All content. And to give the users tools to further that discovery. It's something that benefits every client we have and we think it is incredibly important. We have heard from clients ranging from hobby sites to huge corporate clients who are dying for 4.1. It's going to be great!

And when you have 2 topics with almost the same name, one with many posts and the other with zero posts? You want to first enter the one with many posts... You probably know that topic, but now without seeing the number of posts, you get confused, so you click one of them without knowing which one you are entering. This is counter productive. I want to make the life of my members easier and not more difficult.

There is so many white space in the Stream, is that so difficult to add the number of posts and pages? In the Invision existence, there was even a single guy in all these years that asked you to remove the posts numbers from the VNC?

But ok, i know you won't change your mind. I'll put this in the hands of my members.

• Management

I am not opposed to the star indicator but there may be some technical limitations to that as it could cause performance issues. We can look into it to see how expensive it is. I don't want to add features that are going to cause things to be slow of course :)

Archived