Desktop and e-mail notifications

Makoto

What do you think about adding an option for the user to suspend e-mail notifications for as long as they are active on the forum? In the past, I've utilized both inline and e-mail notifications. E-Mail notifications provide me instant feedback, as I have notifications set up on my desktop for whenever I get a new e-mail. Now, I end up getting a desktop notification and e-mail notification at the same time.

But I naturally don't want to disable e-mail notifications for when I'm not active on the forum. If I could simply disable the sending of e-mail notifications for as long as I remain active on the forum (either by performing some kind of action or polling for instant notifications), I think that would be quite useful.

I actually have that enabled. It must be a bug then. I'll submit a bug report.

Edit: I don't think that's what I really want. I want to be able to stay active on the site without receiving e-mail notifications. The way that is worded, it seems like it just limits the amount of e-mails I will receive while I'm not active, yes?

(The above actually seems to have no effect either way, so it's possibly still a bug)

Yes that's right, the option Charles highlighted is the same as the one in 3.x, where you'll only receive at most one email notification per content item until you revisit the site. It doesn't impact browser notifications, which are handled separately. I like your suggestion though - I think that's how I would prefer to use it too. Browser notifications if I'm active, but emails if I'm not.

Archived