The new browser notifications - a small but nice change, if possible

Nathan Explosion

I like the idea. I think a top level menu with "Unread items" will go down well on my forum.

Anyone else feel the content title and the who/when/where subtitles are the wrong way around? The who/when/where is fairly irrelevant and it seems to be jumping in my face in the current style :)

Edit: Oops, this should have been in the activity stream thread. I got lost in my clicking :)

• Management
Just now, Makoto said:

It doesn't, other browsers have desktop notifications, but they're extremely basic implementations. Chrome just has the best support for them by far.

Yes hopefully other browsers will improve. Unfortunately we're stuck with how they show things but either way the whole idea of getting a little notification is really handy.

Please tell me there is a way to mute the sounds when new replies pop up in the topic, I don't know if you have sounds for other instant notifications as well but if you do please please tell me there is a way to get rid of these somehow or it will drive me insane.

7 hours ago, daveoh said:

Please tell me there is a way to mute the sounds when new replies pop up in the topic, I don't know if you have sounds for other instant notifications as well but if you do please please tell me there is a way to get rid of these somehow or it will drive me insane.

If you are using Windows 10 you can mute this or any sound effects in your sound settings. Just click on the speaker in your task bar.

8 hours ago, daveoh said:

Right now there isn't, but we could look at having a toggle in the control panel if there's enough demand.

This is something that I also wish could just be implemented and configured in the browser API (notification sounds), but not even Chrome's notifications support that I believe.

Anyways, I would support that as a toggleable option. I can see it being potentially annoying.

Archived