IPS4 Pages - My experience building a custom homepage

Tom Christian

1 minute ago, Steve-Ray said:

What I and others need is for good tutorials on how to accomplish these CSS files. 

Yeah, no. No tutorials necessary. It takes just 2 lines:

1. Create the file: ACP → Pages → Templates → New → Add CSS File

2. Assign the file to the page: ACP → Pages → Pages → [Your Page] → Edit → Page Includes → [Select the CSS file] → Save

Ok, I created a new file and simply called it steve.  So now I have a blank file called steve.css.  I assume that I have to put stuff in there.  I did mention that I have no skill. 

Ehren coded my About Us page so that it would stop breaking his theme.  It works perfectly.

• 1 month later...

The dark themes require a bit more work to them than the light designs. On top of this you'll find that there's a few areas for sure that will require a bit more than just the stock css with small tweeks to work. Is there a possibility there's a free theme you can download and alter to suit your needs so you have a base to start with?

Try using your browser inspector also to see what css is in the targeted areas you need. That alone should help you nail down a lot of areas.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh heck... its all too much for me being a non-techy.  Ive used wordpress for my landing page so I can keep it simple to get to the about page and communty ( IPS)  BUT from there on I am puzzled as to how they should enter the community or what part of the community will blow them way first. .  I guess thats a personal choice,...do they enter straight into the forums, the blogs, or the calendar etc?   SHEEESH

Id love to see some examples of any of these templates been put to good use if you have any completed. I've been looking at the templates thingy in my ACP and cant make any sense out of them. Download or upload a template????   Are these some fabulous templates that are for sale somewhere and can be downloaded???? PLease tell me they are as it would my life very much easier to be able to purchase and download some nice looking template:p

Just now, kar3n2 said:

ah no Ive got  theme  I am using that uniform theme its very nice.   I thought pages templates were about layout but maybe I'm completely wrong

There are no specific Pages templates available as far as I know. One reason is they are usually customized to the specific fields of a specific database of a specific installation. 

Just now, opentype said:

There are no specific Pages templates available as far as I know. One reason is they are usually customized to the specific fields of a specific database of a specific installation. 

oh Im with you ( a bit)... 

Pages are (custom) pretty much.I know how to throw a good home page together.Usually its difficult to ship a homepage with a theme.that usually has to have some user input for example .open this setting in acp and copy paste this code here or xyz will not work.css wise yes a homepage can be automated but template wise no i don't see how it can right now.If anybody needs a page making hit me up.

• 3 months later...

Old thread i know.

Can somebody show me where to go if I wish to learn how to create templates to display data from my database in pages?

I could create the physical layout, and sort the CSS etc. The problem is, how do i insert/fetch the data from my database to display in the template?

Eg, what do i write if I want to include the field "Price" in my template???

And I have an question too, how the heck once assigned a 'page include' do I delete it from the list?

I made a custom css (1) for page (A)

Now I create a new page (B) and it auto includes custom css (1) and I can't seem to delete it?

1 minute ago, riko said:

Now I create a new page (B) and it auto includes custom css (1) and I can't seem to delete it?

Are you sure that it’s actually included? Because this view:

Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-15 um 12.20.28.png

just is an offer to include the flags.css file once you click on it and it gets selected. Otherwise this file doesn’t get included. 

Bummer, I spoke to soon.

I have 2 CSS files, I can swap 1 for the other (unselect one) but my only JS file for another project I cannot uncheck. If I create an empty JS file the errors are flying around my head.

So how does one uncheck it? Screen-Shot-2016-07-15-at-16.42.png

I was just thinking (smiling) it's easy when you are on the other side of the fence. The part where you know these things. :smile:

I feel a bit dumb now because I didn't know and I never encountered it. Like so many other things IPB forum wise I'm struggling to figure things out. Like pages, it's easy when you're "born" in php code. When you're a home brew "handy-man" like me, the things that seem to be obvious just aren't.

Anywho, thank you for your help again. :thumbsup:

Archived